Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chorusfrog   Icearstorm   Chorusfrog   SuzieGirl   Chorusfrog  

Member  Message

Chorusfrog
View Profile

HOW DO I KEEP CRICKETS ALIVE?!?!?

Ok, hi, I was wondering how to breed crickets? Like, I keep mine in a really small tub, and it has a potato and some fish flakes as food. I put cardboard egg cartons in there, and there should be enough because we raise chickens. And I put an Altoids mint box bottom in there for eggs, I filled it with moist playsand... anything else I should do? The crickets keep dying within hours, not long enough to breed them. What am I missing? What kind of food should I put in? Why are they dying? Why aren’t they breeding? And yes, I know I have both male and female.THAAAAAAAANK YOOOOOOU!

12/13/15  07:59am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2316072

I’m not entirely sure for breeding (moist dirt and some male and female crickets seems to be all you need), but as for keeping them alive, ventilation could be the issue. A metal screen top will stop the crickets from getting out, but still provide adequate ventilation. An easier option is to leave the lid off (if the container is tall enough to prevent escapes. If this doesn’t work, check your supplier. Some stores that supply crickets will have diseased crickets or, more likely, unsanitary conditions that will lead to cricket death by large numbers. I find that any crickets that survive two days after taking them home will likely live to the end of their lifespan if in ideal conditions. If they die after two days, it’s likely that there’s something you are doing wrong.
A setup I find to work well is a 15-gallon terrarium with dry sand or dirt substrate that can easily be sifted out, 2-5 egg crates, a metal screen top, and a heat lamp if kept outside in cool temperatures. Then provide a cricket food with a fair amount of protein and a carrot or other like vegetable that contains moisture (but not so much moisture that it rots quickly). With this setup, two days after buying the crickets, there are generally less than 4 deaths per month, and a total capacity of around 250 crickets, give or take.
To avoid some of the stink that comes with crickets, do not feed stinky food. Also do not feed calcium-fortified foods to the crickets any time aside from gut-loading. I have heard it makes a cricket’s exoskeleton too hard to shed, therefore killing it. I have also noticed that the crickets stink less after removing calcium from their diet, but perhaps it’s just a coincidence.

12/14/15  05:51am

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2316087

Oh thanks! I didn’t know about the whole carrot thing, or the calcium... I normally keep a calcium powder in their food. Didn’t even think about shedding problems. Thank you so much!

12/14/15  06:40pm

SuzieGirl
View Profile

Message To: Chorusfrog   In reference to Message Id: 2316072

How many crickets are you putting in your tub. What kind of tub you using. Are they getting plenty fresh air.Crickets need to stay warm. How many days after you buy them do they start to die off. Try this get a jar lid get some napkins wet put in jar lid , make sure it’s pretty wet, but not over wet . Try giving them oatmeal, if you have a blender put some in and blend to a powdered. You can still feed some fish flakes with the oatmeal.

12/17/15  11:20am

Chorusfrog
View Profile

Message To: SuzieGirl   In reference to Message Id: 2316128

About 20-40 crickets go in the tub, and it’s a medium storage box, clear. I don’t put a lid on it,and other than the time my cat jumped in the box, I haven’t lost any. Thanks for the jar idea.

12/17/15  02:20pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area