Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Anoleluv   Cphill58   Anoleluv  

Member  Message

Anoleluv
View Profile

Need help with cricket breeding!!

Ok, so I was getting tired of having to buy crickets every week for my lizard. And half of them die anyway. So my solution was to start breeding them. I have 1 anole, so I want a very small colony. I’ve done the research, but I’m going to downsize everything. I only need about twenty or so crickets a week, so how many should I get to start my mini colony? I know that I need two containers, but how big should they be? I guess I only want about 100 crickets (in any age) alive at my house because I could give some to a friend also. Would it be possible to "free" the crickets that I don’t want? It gets pretty cold at night easily here, so I think that they will die fairly quickly... I also want to know how noisy would say, 10 adult crickets would be? I don’t want to disturb anyone in my house, so I don’t want them to be too noisy..

09/15/12  09:32pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Anoleluv   In reference to Message Id: 2280463

your going to need about 20 or more adults to breed...you cant have just a few ...they lay tons of eggs and the males will eat some of the eggs unless you remove them or have separate little Tupperware to remove from the main colony.

As the hundreds of crickets hatch they will not make any noise until they get 4-5 weeks old and become mature adults...at that time you can freeze them ...or release them outside. Or you can sell / give some away before they get that old.

09/21/12  12:14pm

Anoleluv
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2281005

Ok, thanx:) I will start with 20, but most likely I will let a bunch of htem go.. It’s gonna be winter soon where I live, so I doubt the crickets would live:)

09/21/12  02:47pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area