Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Boater1025   Boater1025   Boater1025   Sajane  

Member  Message

Boater1025
View Profile

Media vs moisture etc

I am trying to breed crickets. Don’t need a lot but so far no babies. Hope to change that soon. I am using garden soil in one tank and coco mat type stuff in the other. both get mold and I think that the eggs are being eaten by the adults before hatch occurs. Have separated audits from eggs and we will see. What is the consensus on breeding media.. soil...vermiculite...perlite....coco mat...or other?

11/23/11  11:32am

Boater1025
View Profile

Message To: Boater1025   In reference to Message Id: 2245108

Media vs moisture etc

also, how many weeks from hatch to 1/2 inch and to breeding age?

11/23/11  11:43am

Boater1025
View Profile

Message To: Boater1025   In reference to Message Id: 2245109

Media vs moisture etc

Up date to the set up. I have removed all of the crickets from tank 2. (5 gal aquarium) Am in hopes that they did not eat all of the eggs. I guess I’ll know in a few days. Have removed all of the dirt from tank 1 (20 gal Aquarium) Have put vermiculite in sandwich containers and added a lot of moisture. I really looks like the moisture will hold for a while. Plan to leave the containers in for 5 to 7 days and then cover the container leave it in place and place in a 2nd container for 5 to 7 days etc until I have used up all enthusiasm for breeding crickets or have succeeded. The brood stock in the first container 1 are 3/4 inch and have ovipositors about equal to 1/2 their body length but no wings that I can see..No body chirps yet. Feed is mixture of ground up cat food dry milk and commercial cricket food with extra calcium. What do you successful breeders think?

11/23/11  06:16pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Boater1025   In reference to Message Id: 2245154

Media vs moisture etc

Ist make sure the crix are chirping and mature. egg medium doesnt matter as long as its kept moist and warm. the adults will also lay better if they are warm.I leave egg trays with adults for a few weeks until alot of eggs.spray daily. when i take egg trays out i loosley cover them and again spray daily. a couple weeks later they hatch. i leave pinheads and egg trays together for a few weeks till hatching is over. give gutload and crix water gel and egg crate.depending on temp .they will take a few weeks to grow

11/29/11  01:57pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area