Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Dsrtsnoman   Sajane   Dsrtsnoman   Kyoss   Kyoss  
 Member  Message

Dsrtsnoman
View Profile

Cricket colony one

I have just this, a 10 gal tank, cricket food and water, organic potting soil, hiding spots, and a heat lamp for plants. Will this work to just put the potting soil all along the bottom of the tank, and the hides, food, water, and light to make them breed alright, or won’t it work?Thank you.

02/08/11  09:36pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Dsrtsnoman   In reference to Message Id: 2203872

Cricket colony one

it will work if you keep the dirt moist. Its not the best way to do it as there is no way to clean that set up or remove the pin heads from the dirt.

02/09/11  01:55pm

Dsrtsnoman
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2203981

Cricket colony one

Hi, will the adult crickets eat the small ones and once you get them out, can you feed them standard gel and cricket food?how long will it take for them to grow?

02/12/11  06:14pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Dsrtsnoman   In reference to Message Id: 2204555

Cricket colony one

Adults will eat basically anything. I’m not sure if the females do, but I know the males will make a snack out of the unhatched eggs. It’s best to just have a small plastic tube with just soil in it and screen over the top to keep the males from eating the eggs. Then after a week of the plastic tub being in there take it out and put it in another bigger container until they hatch. If they are inside, and the house stays fairly warm they really don’t need any heating to hatch but If thats not the case then they do need heating. Always make sure the soil is moist (Not drenched) so the eggs don’t dry out.

02/15/11  05:05pm

Kyoss
View Profile

Message To: Dsrtsnoman   In reference to Message Id: 2204555

Cricket colony one

Oh and yes the babies can eat the gel, not sure about the cricket food until they get a little bigger. I like to feed lettuce or potato.

02/15/11  05:06pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area