Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Slimmdiggity   Slimmdiggity   Greatballzofire   Slimmdiggity  
 Member  Message

Slimmdiggity
View Profile

Dwarf crickets?

I have been breeding crickets for about a year now.I let some go in my yard time to time.Recently I found some small fully mature ones roaming the yard.They are darker than my breeding crickets reddish in color in the light and almost black in low light.What I wonder is will they lay eggs that will hatch?will they be all dwarfs?

09/15/10  05:35am

Slimmdiggity
View Profile

Message To: Slimmdiggity   In reference to Message Id: 2175542

Dwarf crickets?

Here is a picture.

09/15/10  08:19pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Slimmdiggity   In reference to Message Id: 2175648

Dwarf crickets?

Those look like juvenile black field crickets to me. They are the species Gryllus. The domestic brown ones we feed our pets are acheta. The gryllus are also easy to raise.

Some of my gryllus.

09/18/10  09:17am

Slimmdiggity
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2176024

Dwarf crickets?

Well they are fully mature and laying eggs so I think they are dwarfs or something.The males chirp and the females lay eggs so I have no idea.I do know this though I let a bunch of house crickets go in my yard and I started seeing hatches in the yard a few weeks after that.Maybe the field crickets got called into my yard by the male house crickets maybe even cross breeding.Take a close look at the picture the one big one is from my breeding colony,you can also see the small female at the bottom has its ovipositor showing.I know that people who keep reptiles sometimes need small crickets so maybe I can breed these for such uses.

09/18/10  07:00pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area