Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

D-railer   Jared T   D-railer   Boater1025  

Member  Message

D-railer
View Profile

To light or not to light?

Hello, I’m new to breeding crickets and have been reading all i can about it.So i have two 20 gal aquariums and have built a top for one with a light fixture and a thermostat. My question is having a light on going to disrupt the breeding? i need a good heat source as they will be kept in my tractor shed. My wife wont let me keep them in the house:-(. Well any advice would be great. ty...

09/06/10  07:46pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: D-railer   In reference to Message Id: 2174034

http://repticzone.com/forums/FenceLizards/messages/2171984.html

Basically you just need their tank around 80s give or take a few degrees. If you use lights get red or black heat bulbs because crickets like the dark. and if you’d rather use heatpads make sure they’re made by a reptile company(Zoo-Med, Exo-Terra, Fluker’s), because human heat pads can malfunction faster.

Also out-line the inner sides of both tanks two inches down from the top with clear 2 inch wide packing tape if you don’t want cricket escapes. I’m not sure about glass but I do know that young crickets can climb storage tub sides, and silicone!

Good luck!

09/06/10  09:26pm

D-railer
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2174070

Thanks mate, cheers.

09/06/10  11:55pm

Boater1025
View Profile

Message To: D-railer   In reference to Message Id: 2174098

another idea here.....I also use aquariums and I took 4 2x6’s and put them on edge to raise the tank up about 6 inches. I put a regular floresent bulb under the tank and it keeps the floor of the tank warm and the crickets stay down there. I have egg cartons on the floor so they can avoid the light but they don’t seem to mind the light

11/30/11  07:29pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area