Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Melissa102787   Sajane   Melissa102787   Sajane   Greatballzofire   Voguestar   Galanoth   Sean bergman   Veronica _V   Veronica _V   Sajane   MandibleHead  

Member  Message

Melissa102787
View Profile

HELP! Massive cricket escape!

Well.. Silly me put a heat pad on the bottom of a plastic container keeping my 1/2" crickets. It worked AWESOME for the past two weeks but something happened last night and it must have caught on fire and burned a huge hole in my container. Now I have hundreds of crickets roaming around. I thought I would let my beardies loose to clean up... But it is not working well.

So far I have killed about 20. There are many many more running around, no idea how many. I’m scared to use bug killer in the house because of my dog.

Any ideas??? There are a lot. Enough to make an infestation of they are able to mature. It is summer too so it is plenty warm enough...

08/10/10  01:51pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Melissa102787   In reference to Message Id: 2168382

You could spray the bug killer and confine the dog for a few hours until the residue dries. That’ s what I do around my cats. You should check with the vet 1st. The crix need moisture to survive and 1/2 inch are pretty small so they may die off before breeding age. If you start hearing crix chirping thats the time to worry. I’m more concerned about the uth burning a hole in the tub. What brand is the uth and what brand is the tub? has this happened to anyone else?

08/10/10  03:08pm

Melissa102787
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2168408

We had a thunder storm last night and the heat pad was not on a power surge protector. I *think* the lightening caused a power surge and my heat pad caught fire. It was a zoo med large reptile heat pad. It was silly of me to use it on plastic in the first place.... But it was working so well!

There was definite ash around the hole. It also burned through the heat pad and the wood chest it was sitting on. I’m very lucky my home did not catch fire. It definitely made me rethink how I have my set ups...

08/11/10  12:51am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Melissa102787   In reference to Message Id: 2168532

thats scary! I also have one of those on my plastic crix bin.and heat pads on all tanks. 9 in all. good luck on the escaped crix though!

08/11/10  02:42pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2168632

I use the 4 watt mini Zoomed pads on my sterilite tubs, controlled by a thermostat and with an indoor outdoor thermometer probe mounted to the floor of the tub right over the pad. Any size heating pad any larger than the 4 watt is not recommended, although I do have an 8 watt one on one of my tubs, but again with a thermostat and plenty of ventilation under the pad.

As for the escaped crickets, they are attracted to warmth and food and moisture, so if you put a heating pad near the area they escaped with a little food and water crystals or damp sponge, and cover this with an egg crate, you may be able to recover a lot of them.

08/14/10  07:34pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2169413

Ive read somewhere before about how some1s brother thought it would be funny to let about 3,000 crickets loose in this girls place and she was also wondering how to gather them all up. Someone suggested to her that she could put pieces of tape [sticky side up] in random places. The crickets would stick to the tape..sorta like a mouse trap. The leaving food and water with some heat is also a good idea you might be able to actually use those ones for food again. Glad to hear you didnt have a large house fire! Good luck!!

08/21/10  02:17pm

Galanoth
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2170734

One word-vacuum

05/25/11  10:07pm

Sean bergman
View Profile

Message To: Galanoth   In reference to Message Id: 2221004

yeh go with what galanoth is saying if theres enough id use a hand held vacum just make sure there isnt anything in it that will rip them to shreds lol

09/16/11  03:03pm

Veronica _V
View Profile

Message To: Sean bergman   In reference to Message Id: 2237158

Turn the temperature in your house down for a few days, let it get chillier at night. This will probably nearly kill all of them off. Where I live, most people that buy small quantities of feeder crickets from pet stores tell me that "mine always die in three days, so I only buy a little at a time." I keep five dozen+ of them in a very large kritter keeper with some egg crate, cricket feed, and wet cotton balls, along with some fresh veggie scraps to munch on, and keep them in a dark cabinet... Mine last me until they are fed to the beardie (which doesn’t take long) but is about ten days, sometimes less... from what I’ve understood though, the temperature will definitely kill them-- so just keep it cold, and don’t give them anything to eat and drink. If you want to catch them, try setting out some clean egg crate in dark places with cricket food in the pockets, and checking it periodically.

12/28/11  03:21am

Veronica _V
View Profile

Message To: Veronica _V   In reference to Message Id: 2248675

And if you have any kinds of herps in your house, I would say DO NOT use any bug spray. Highly toxic to herps, even if you just use it nearby.

12/28/11  03:26am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Veronica _V   In reference to Message Id: 2248678

origially posted in aug of 2010. i hope it s cleaned up by now! lol

12/28/11  12:39pm

MandibleHead
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2248716

good thing they wernt cockroaches