Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Melissa102787   Nile/water monitors   Melissa102787   Greatballzofire   MultiLizard   Sajane   Greatballzofire   Sajane   Greatballzofire  
 Member  Message

Melissa102787
View Profile

Sooo friggen frustrated.

So I decided to start breeding crickets. I go through a TON of crickets and need 3 sizes at the moment. So I did some research and decided that breeding would be my best bet. However... It has been 17 days and I have not had ONE baby hatch. I quickly got tubs for the adults and the babies. I had some younger adult crickets and some full grown to establish a breeding colony. I cranked up the heat to around 82-84. I used one lay bin( my first one) with vermiculite and the rest with soil. I took the lay bins out every 3-4 days. Currently I have about 6-7 lay bins. I started having trouble with mold/drying out. It was either too dry or too moldy. I have been messing with the temps/humidity trying to get some sort of results... and so far nothing. I decided to stop using the potting soil and to use the vermiculite again( the first only batch i used that with, they dried out). Figure the mold wont grow in it... Anyways I guess my biggest question is whether or not to use lids/plastic on the lay bins? If in doubt, should i go more moist then less moist? I think the reason they never hatched is because I must have not kept it moist enough?? I feel defeated... Everyone made it seem so easy. I can hatch reptile eggs no problem, yet my crickets are proving to be difficult for me. Any advice/help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Oh key things : I keep the temp in the 80’s, I feed the adults fresh veggies/dogfood crushed mixed with fish flakes, moist paper towels for water and I also throw in cricket total bite cubes everyday. I have DEFINITELY seen plenty of eggs in my substrates, so I know they are laying them.

07/12/10  01:39am

Nile/water monitors
View Profile

Message To: Melissa102787   In reference to Message Id: 2161951

Sooo friggen frustrated.

Looks like your doing everything right,but, I had the same problem, I used a plastic coffee container with about 1 1/2"in. of dirt/sand mix and no lid on the container, I got nothing but dry substrate, until I filled the container 1/2 full and cut a access door for the crickets in the side of the container, with the "lid on" and moist dirt/sand and about two-three weeks, I got more crickets than I know what to do with now. Hope this helps you out.

07/12/10  11:02am

Melissa102787
View Profile

Message To: Nile/water monitors   In reference to Message Id: 2162000

Sooo friggen frustrated.

So moisture is definitely the key. I saturated all of the bins... and the result... baby crickets! Lol I have a couple thousand probably. I have been shocked ever since they started hatching, really didn’t think it would happen. I also had a HUGE heat issue. One day the temp got waaay to hot ( 116 degrees F). I thought they were fried. Guess they are a little hardier than I thought. I also wanted to add one bin got knocked over and dumped all of the carpet. I put it all back in and left it. Those eggs hatched too! I was wondering if they had to remain in exactly the position they were laid.

I wish I knew how to get them OUT of the dirt. Its been 5 days and they are still in there. Which means i’ve been feeding them IN the dirt AND in the actual bin. I have tried using paper towels as little ramps but only some use it and leave. Not sure what to do about that one. I have been trying to blow them out but it only gets a few...and the food is growing mold in the moist soil...

07/19/10  12:52am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Melissa102787   In reference to Message Id: 2163415

Sooo friggen frustrated.

To get them out of the substrate put egg crates in for them to climb onto. Then you can take the egg crate and tap the crickets clinging to it into a another container.

They especially like to congregate under the egg crates.

When I go to feed my toads and lizards I just take a piece of egg crate loaded with the appropriate size crickets and tap them into the habitats. My pets know when they see the big hand with the egg crate overhead it is feeding time, and will come to that area.

07/19/10  09:32am

MultiLizard
View Profile

Message To: Melissa102787   In reference to Message Id: 2161951

Sooo friggen frustrated.

I know this might not help, but i put crickets in my humidity tank and I saw them putting their butts in the ground. I discovered that I have tiny baby crickets wandering around on the dirt. I thought it was cool.

08/31/10  11:18pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: MultiLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2172864

Sooo friggen frustrated.

So when you say you saturated the eggs, did you make the container watery? I think I may have drowned mine.

09/01/10  02:17pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2172950

Sooo friggen frustrated.

No, you saturate the vermiculite, squeeze out the excess water after you put the screen over the lay tub, so you can press with your hand, then give this to the crickets to lay their eggs in. After you give the lay tub to the crickets you should not have to do anymore with it for about four days, just let them lay the eggs, then take out that lay tub and give them another.

09/13/10  10:35am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 2175261

Sooo friggen frustrated.

How often do you re moisten the substrate after the eggs are laid?

09/14/10  01:39pm

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2175447

Sooo friggen frustrated.

I never moisten the vermiculite in the lay tub after I give it to the crickets, or during hatching in the incubator . It should have enough moisture to last the few weeks it takes to go from being laid eggs in to hatching. After I remove the lay tub from the crickets I also remove the little screen cover that was there to prevent the crickets from digging in the vermiculite.

The lay tubs then go in plastic boxes with air holes drilled for ventilation. Every few days I wipe away the little condensation that gathers in the plastic box. Soon as I see crickets hatching I sprinkle a bit of vermiculite in the corners of the box so the pinheads don’t drown in the minuscule bit of condensation, and give them bottle caps of food and water crystals. After a couple days I take them out of the incubator and give them a larger tub to grow in.

09/18/10  09:10am

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area