Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

CandiGurl   Rokdog   CandiGurl   Monster545  
 Member  Message

CandiGurl
View Profile

Egg laying

Yesterday I started my cricket breeding. Ive started out with a 10 gallon plastic storage bin. inside i placed a small water dish with a sponge( originally sold for hermit crabs), an apple slice, mason jar lid with oats and crushed beardie food, egg cartons, and a lid from a container of frosting filled with wet play sand i got from the petstore. at night i put a red basking light over the tank for warmth. Today I observed the female crickets laying eggs. they seemed to prefer laying their eggs inside the wet sponge.. its a little unsanitary to me but the crickets dont seem to ming, they still drink from the sponge. am i doing everything all right?

03/04/10  04:18pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: CandiGurl   In reference to Message Id: 2129793

Egg laying

Get a deeper plastic dish(cottage cheese container size) fill it 3/4’s of the way with damp peat moss for egg laying substrate.....if you fill it too high the crickets will soon have it all over the enclosure. i would use water crystals INSTEAD of a sponge as they promote bacteria growth. Keep your temp’s 80-90 degrees fahrenheit.....many people use people type heating pads w/o out-shutoff feature to heat their feeder insect colonies. KEEP THE FEED DRY because if you allow it to get moist... mold, MITES, bacteria will invade YOUR colony. After allowing your crickets to lay eggs in the container for 4 to 7 day’s.......remove it from BREEDING COLONY, mist the peat(IMPORTANT to keep the peat moss moist or egg’s will dry-out)....put the container lid on and move to REARING COLONY container(same husbandry requirement’s as the BREEDER COLONY) and after about a week you should see "pinhead" crickets. Have Fun!

03/06/10  07:02am

CandiGurl
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2130411

Egg laying

Oh wow. i have alot of work to do. thanks for your help:) btw, the crickets wont lay eggs in water crystals will they?

03/06/10  02:31pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: CandiGurl   In reference to Message Id: 2130527

Egg laying

No they will not. I use water gel to provide my crickets with moisture, and its like food, the nibble on it to get water, and it works realy well with keeping them alive.

03/15/10  09:06pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area