Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HkyMom76   CrysD_Alberta  

Member  Message

HkyMom76
View Profile

How long before starting to lay eggs?

I’ve had about 500 3/4" crickets now for just about a week. How long should it be before I expect to see them laying eggs? A bunch of the crickets are in the soil, looks almost like they are trying to drink from it, but I don’t see anything happening. Are they too young to breed? I have water, food, heat, hiding places, and the substrate for them to lay eggs. Not sure what else I could do beside maybe play some romantic music for them hehe. They did just start chirping a few days ago, which I’ve read is the mating call from the males to the females. Help pleaseeeee?

02/24/10  01:06pm

CrysD_Alberta
View Profile

Message To: HkyMom76   In reference to Message Id: 2126685

How long before starting to lay eggs?

It sounds like they are trying to eat the eggs...from what I’ve found out the females will breed but hold the eggs until they have proper nesting material, ie. reptile coconut fiber/dirt substrate. Since crickets are housed without substrate in pet stores, almost as soon as you start up your first breeding tank some females will start laying... my suggestion is u pull the nest out and put it in it’s own tank so u get some hatchlings, amd immediately give the breeders a new ’nesting box’.

03/30/14  09:03pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area