Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Lins51387   Lins51387   Lins51387   Sajane   Liemoffline   JDscrixnworms  
 Member  Message

Lins51387
View Profile

Cricket Breeding

Well, I currently have a single Bearded Dragon called Tanny. I just realized that the pet store we went to sells Crix, so I’m going to buy around 50. I would like to try out breeding them, and if that doesn’t work out, I’ll just go back and forth buying them.

Ok, here are the questions I need answered...

1) How do we tell females to males?
2) How many females to 1 male?
3) Do I have to incubate the eggs?
4) If so, at what degree CELSIUS
5) Easiest food to feed them? (No need for gutloading. Tanny eats veggies very willingly)
6) Do they need water? Or do I just give them fruit/veggies?
7) Any tips? Other inportant stuff?

Oh, and how many crickets should I put in Tanny’s cage per how many days? (Leaving room in her belly for the veggies!)

Thanks! You should all be able to tell that I am a brand new Berdie owner! XD

08/01/09  08:54am

Lins51387
View Profile

Message To: Lins51387   In reference to Message Id: 2049053

Cricket Breeding

Some other questions after reading a couple of articles...

1) Can I use the sand I’m using for my Bearded Dragon as the bedding for the incubator and the storage containers?
2) Do they lay the eggs under the sand?
3) How do we tell when the crix are finished laying?
4) About how long does it take for the eggs to hatch?
5) How do we tell when the female’s going to lay so I can move her to the incubator box?
6) About how long do they take to lay and how many eggs will I get per clutch?

That’s all for now!

08/01/09  09:40am

Lins51387
View Profile

Message To: Lins51387   In reference to Message Id: 2049053

Cricket Breeding

To make things simpler... Could I just put a large container filled with sand INSIDE the storage bin? Will the females jump in there and lay their eggs in there automaticly? That’s what I read in one of the articles >.>

08/01/09  10:00am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Lins51387   In reference to Message Id: 2049077

Cricket Breeding

I buy about a dozen large crix from petsmart. I have a small kritter keeper, I bake some potting soil for about 30 min at 350 ( because if I dont I have little gnats that are bothersome.) and put about 3 ins of potting soil in . you can put potato or apple in with them. The females have a long tube between the 2 feelers on their bottoms. If its short they are not mature yet. When the males get mature they sing and they just have the 2 feelers (or what ever they re called). If they are mature they mate and lay right away and die. After they are all dead I wet the dirt and keep it moist. You can see the little crix eggs near the top if you look through the side. I just keep it in the house and after about a month maybe less they start to hatch. I take the lid off the kritter keeper and lay it on its side in a large plastic box that has a screen hot glued on it for air.I keep egg crates for hiding and flat coolwhip lids of oats and awet paper towel for water, apple or potato. with a newspaper on the bottom so they can crawl without sliding. Thats it very easy.

08/05/09  04:36pm

Liemoffline
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2051570

Cricket Breeding

http://traidetuongvy.dyndns.info/en/ky-thuat-nuoi-de-men.html

11/23/09  07:46pm

JDscrixnworms
View Profile

Message To: Liemoffline   In reference to Message Id: 2098099

Cricket Breeding

I have a good tutorial at my site. Link is in my profile.

02/11/10  12:01am

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area