Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

JiminyCricket   Jared T   Sajane   Jared T   Sajane   Jared T   Sajane   Jared T   Jared T   Jared T   Sajane   Jared T   Sajane   Jared T   Liemoffline   GrimlockRose   Jared T   GrimlockRose   Jared T  
 Member  Message

JiminyCricket
View Profile

Cricket Eggs

Do the cricket egg’s temperature need to be kept overnight?

06/30/09  11:24pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: JiminyCricket   In reference to Message Id: 2031873

Cricket Eggs

Yup. It’s just like any other egg!

07/02/09  11:09pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2033130

Cricket Eggs

I put the adult crickets in a kritter keeper with wet potting soil. After the eggs are laid I just keep it wet and at room temp. about 70- 75 degrees. They hatch just fine.

07/31/09  01:50pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2048725

Cricket Eggs

My first egg laying tub I used potting soil. It seems that the soil has generated fruit flies/gnats, it also attracts flies like crazy, and leads the flies to laying eggs in it. Did this happen to you? The soil also molded within 7 days. I decided to keep it and see what happens, I now have over a hundred crickets running around in it, with more to come. Will be tossing that soil sunday..

Anything similar with your soil, or did you bake it first?

09/03/09  12:08am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2066961

Cricket Eggs

The first time I also had gnats. I baked the soil the 2nd time and no gnats, but a fly some how got in and laid eggs! I took out the maggots and went on from there no problem. The 3rd time I have had a slight mold problem, I think it may be because i kept the cricket keeper on a dark shelf. The gnats were the biggest pain though. Its not that easy to get the baby crix out of the dirt. Take the lid off it and lay it side ways in a plastic tub with window screen for a lid.Line the bottom with newspaper and put egg crate and toilet paper rolls inside. I keep the oats and food and water in dishes as the first time I used oats as substrate and it molded also.Unless anyone else has an idea on how to get the crix out of the kritter keeper.

09/03/09  03:45pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2067199

Cricket Eggs

I no longer use soil, but I was just wondering about what yours did. I switched to sterile vermiculite.

What I do is I put the egg laying tub in my storage container/cricket tub and fold a piece of card board so that it touches the egg soil but not the main tub floor. That way when crickets walk the whole piece, most of them fall. I do this when I first see eggs hatched. I then put food and a water source in both tubs. Not sure how well the card board idea will work, but I will know by Sunday...

09/04/09  01:15am

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2067433

Cricket Eggs

I did something a little similar. Let me know how it works

09/04/09  03:11pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2067668

Cricket Eggs

So far it’s working not that good lol

09/04/09  06:01pm

Jared T
View Profile

Cricket Eggs

My next egg laying tub started hatching tonight(I kept a tub in the breeder crickets for four days then replaced with a new one). The cardboard ramp didn’t work real well, so I decided to use a toilet paper roll. For some reason crickets are attracted to these things. Every ten minutes I just go in and shake them off in the grow tub. Seems to work, but if it takes too long because there are hundreds of babies, I will think of something else.

09/04/09  10:08pm

Jared T
View Profile

Cricket Eggs

Nothing is seeming to work quickly. But I figured out an idea!

I have one inch deep Tupperware containers. I’m gonna fill it almost full of egg laying substrate while leaving a 1/4 inch rim of space at the top. Then I will be putting it in the cricket container with an 1/8 inch wire mesh fitted snug over the substrate to keep crickets from digging and eating the eggs. After the four days I will be taking the egg tub out, and replacing it with a new one. With the already fertilized tub I will then lightly pour more substrate on the top of the existing so that it in turn makes it flush with the top of the container. Crickets will then easily(I hope lol) be able to be transferred. Even just a little bit of wind could easily transfer them out of the egg laying tub. WOOOO!

09/05/09  07:42pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2068148

Cricket Eggs

My eggs should be hatching soon.

09/08/09  03:33pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2069350

Cricket Eggs

I got two out of three egg tubs hatched. One more to go. So far I have about I’d say two thousand crickets. Twelve days worth of egg laying with a thousand adults gives you quite a bit of crickets!

09/08/09  07:36pm

Sajane
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2069505

Cricket Eggs

It s great isnt it? really not much work to it.

09/10/09  11:19am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Sajane   In reference to Message Id: 2070254

Cricket Eggs

In the beginning it is quite a bit of work, but once you have it all figured out and easily achieved, all the rest is not that much time consuming. Third egg tub began hatching today!

09/10/09  06:38pm

Liemoffline
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2070440

Cricket Eggs

http://traidetuongvy.dyndns.info/en/ky-thuat-nuoi-de-men.html

11/23/09  07:45pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Liemoffline   In reference to Message Id: 2098097

Cricket Eggs

What do y’all do with all of the crickets and is there ever a down time for breeding, or do y’all keep it like an assembly line?

10/03/10  09:21pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2178898

Cricket Eggs

Depends on how many reptiles you’re feeding..

You want just enough crickets so that you have enough to feed, yet more than enough to breed once they mature. To keep the breeding cycle going.

If you’re housing one lizard you can get by with just buying the crickets, I’d think.

10/03/10  11:04pm

GrimlockRose
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2178918

Cricket Eggs

I’m feeding three, but they want crickets at half-through maturity. Once they start maturing, their interests wane (size issue, I think). One lizzie for sure can’t have the large ones. With how fast the crickets grow, I pay as much in gas for trips to the store as I do crickets.

10/03/10  11:55pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2178926

Cricket Eggs

You’ll probably get away with one egg bin every week. Or even every 2 weeks. Depends on how you house the crickets and such. The larger their home, and the cleaner the better. You also need lots of eggs crates.

Also, for the first 8-10 weeks of the breeding cycle you’re going to need breeding crickets. That way you’ll have egg producing up until the first crickets that hatch are ready to breed, and so on.

It takes a little effort, and a little space, but after time and practice it becomes second nature. I yet again screwed up my cricket breeding cycle. Except this time it was due to funds. Ugh. But I got quite a few crickets lol

10/04/10  08:52pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area