Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Greatballzofire   Clouddancer22   Greatballzofire   Greatballzofire   Monster545   Glipglup   Dewaun-doc1   Monster545   Glipglup   Ehouseman  

Member  Message

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Okay, I have some weird crickets; they are very quiet and hardly ever chirp. This is not stopping them from successfully breeding and producing lots of fertile eggs. The wild crickets outdoors are singing, so I don’t understand why my tame house crickets don’t sing, as the ambient temperatures are the same. Once in awhile one or two males will emit a couple of chirps, but that’s about it. They live in big sterilite tubs with wire screen tops and vermiculite substrate, with the usual egg crate arrangement.
They seem healthy and happy, doing their little bug trip. They really like raw carrots and dry cat food, and also get water crystals and apples. Some of my stock came from a local pet store and some I bought online. They are all Ninja Stealth! I suppose some would say this silence is a blessing, but I would love to hear their song!

08/28/08  11:04pm

Clouddancer22
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1845750

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

That is weird! Usually, the males chirp to attract the females, and higher ambient temps speeds the process. Maybe you lucked out and got a ton of females and only a few males?

Oh, also, if you are feeding fresh veggies you can skip the water crystals. That is just another chemical you don’t need! I have been successfully breeding crx for over a year now and never used anything other than veggies for a water supply. Watch the fruit, like apples, that it doesn’t mold.

08/30/08  11:52am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Clouddancer22   In reference to Message Id: 1846987

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

I am happy to report that there has been a little more chirping of late. Still not the cacophony of sound other people have complained about, just a few little serenades here and there. I’m getting pinheads, so the males I have are doing their thing.
I like the water crystals because they don’t mold and only need rehydration every so often. I put them in a jar lid on top of the egg crates so they don’t get dirty so quick. I don’t think the chemical is harmful; I have used these crystals in horticulture for years with no ill effects. The crickets get little pieces of fruit and vegetables as well, just what they will eat up in a couple of days.
I do wish they would sing more! I like the sound. Maybe I should feed them pasta, to inspire the Pavarottis amongst them!

09/05/08  07:18am

Greatballzofire
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1851891

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Update:
I have raised several batches of crickets over the last few months, and STILL have Ninja Stealth Crickets! I have thousands of crickets in all age stages, in fact I have more crickets than my 26 Western fence lizards can eat, and am feeding crickets to my mice! If I hear a couple of chirps out of any of them it is a rare event! They are fertile and healthy; I guess I will just always have Ninja Stealth Crickets.
Does anyone else have the strong silent type?

11/30/08  07:37pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1907156

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

How big must your crickets be to breed? Im hoping to start breeding them so I dont have to go buy alot of crickets from petsmart. How did you introduce feeindg the crickets to your mice? I have a mouse, but I think shell be scared of the cricket. I have a lepord gecko that eats four crickets every other day and two imbetween. I also experiance alot of dying off, but i dont know why. I keep them in a five gallon tank with toilet paper in the bottom, and egg cartons to hide in, I gove them water cristals and gut load with dog food and cat food (crushed) mixed in. What am I doing wrong?

03/17/10  05:33pm

Glipglup
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2133678

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Crickets need to be at least 1/2 an inch long to breed. MICE WILL NOT EAT CRICKETS EASILY. Keep the crickets in a sterile tub with a screen top for proper ventilation. Substrate--I have used rodent bedding for substrate. It is easy to clean and keep. You could also use dirt or potting soil, it will be easy to clean because the dirt will decompose droppings. Feed your crickets apple slices and carrots, also keep egg cartons out for feeding. Have a clear plastic container with a little door cut out for egg laying. Keep it moist in there. The water content in the food should be enough for the crickets.

Hope this helps,
Glipglup

03/17/10  07:50pm

Dewaun-doc1
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1845750

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

COOL CRICKETS!!!!!!!!(DeWAUN-Doc)

03/17/10  08:26pm

Monster545
View Profile

Message To: Glipglup   In reference to Message Id: 2133715

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Thank you. Ill go with my dad tomorrow to buy more crickets and then I’ll see if they are old enough to breed. Ill try to breed them. Thank you for the advice. Ill keep it in mind when I get the new crickets.

03/17/10  09:44pm

Glipglup
View Profile

Message To: Monster545   In reference to Message Id: 2133751

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Your welcome. Good luck!

03/18/10  07:06pm

Ehouseman
View Profile

Message To: Greatballzofire   In reference to Message Id: 1851891

Ninja Stealth Crickets!

Glad to hear you had success! I have Ninja like crickets too. I bought them from Petsmart, and they don’t make a peep. I haven’t heard one churp. I have well over a hundred.

07/26/16  01:41pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area