Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Lilcyndilouwho   C.cyber   C.cyber   Lilcyndilouwho   C.cyber   Lilcyndilouwho   Nero   Sqishy Cricket   Dirge337  
 Member  Message

Lilcyndilouwho
View Profile

Cricket parasites????

I ordered crickets online like I usually do, only I bought from a different place this time. I noticed that there was these little black worm (for lack of a better word) things about 5-7mm long. My crickets started to die, and when they did, they were red!! Someone told me they were a parasite, a wolly worm, or something like that. I would like to find more info on these guys, what harm an affected cricket could do to a chameleon. I did toss my whole batch, but I donít know if Iíve already fed one off to my cham. Can someone direct me to where I can learn more about these things.

03/01/07  02:15pm

C.cyber
View Profile

Message To: Lilcyndilouwho   In reference to Message Id: 1192552

Cricket parasites????

i cant help u..but what website did u get the crickets from?

03/02/07  02:24pm

C.cyber
View Profile

Message To: C.cyber   In reference to Message Id: 1193756

Cricket parasites????

ok so i was looking up the parasite thing and i found this http://lancaster.unl.edu/Feature/GuessSept29.htm i hope this helps

03/02/07  02:26pm

Lilcyndilouwho
View Profile

Message To: C.cyber   In reference to Message Id: 1193760

Cricket parasites????

Thanks c.cyber, but it came up as did not match any documents. I appreciate you helping me. To answer the other question, I got the crickets from Lucky Lure Cricket Farm.

03/02/07  03:59pm

C.cyber
View Profile

Message To: Lilcyndilouwho   In reference to Message Id: 1193877

Cricket parasites????

srry the site didnt work but the parasite name was a horsehair worm and they r parasites to crickets and grasshoppers but nothing else.

03/02/07  08:20pm

Lilcyndilouwho
View Profile

Message To: C.cyber   In reference to Message Id: 1194229

Cricket parasites????

Thatís ok,Thank you everyone who helped me, I found out what they are!!! Here;s a website about them. I think now that these guys arenít what killed the crickets, I just thought it was them, I donít know, It still wasnít cool to see dear red crickets.
http://www.ummz.umich.edu/mammals/dermestid.html

03/02/07  11:43pm

Nero
View Profile

Message To: Lilcyndilouwho   In reference to Message Id: 1192552

Cricket parasites????

These parasites are called horsehair worms or Gordian worms. They do kill crikets by taking over their brain and making them move toward water. The only way they can reproduce is in water. The criket is only an intermediate host. Other insects that travel with crikets are dermestid beetles, they look like little black hairy meal worms. They are harmless and just eat dead and decaying crickets.

01/13/08  11:13pm

Sqishy Cricket
View Profile

Message To: Nero   In reference to Message Id: 1577946

Cricket parasites????

I feed my baby bearded dragon two crickets last night. When I shook the egg carton into his tank two crickets and one small black worm went inside. He ate the little black worm too fast for me to take it back out. Now I’m worried that this little worm will harm him. I just bought these crickets from Petsmart three days ago, and they gave me the egg carton too. I hope our little guy will be ok.
This worm was not long like the horsehair worm, has anyone else seen this?

08/07/09  10:40am

Dirge337
View Profile

Message To: Sqishy Cricket   In reference to Message Id: 2052596

Cricket parasites????

My dragon has eaten one of those. It didn’t do anything to him. I think they’re just like earthworms in the sense of harmlessness. Not really nutritious, but eat dead things. At the place where i work, the worms come with the crickets. If its the same worm, its the harmless one.

11/22/09  10:38pm

Back to Crickets-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area