Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

PancakesPK   Icearstorm   Reptiles by Myles   Icearstorm  

Member  Message

PancakesPK
View Profile

Corn snake shedding/losing tip of tail help needed

k so im a new corn snake owner, i got a couple week old at a reptile show, since than i took a 1.5-2 year old one from a friend. The older/newer snake sheads fine, the younger one (which in now almost a year old) started off shedding fine for several sheds, and the humidity is correct, but i noticed shedding probs so i bought this spray and used it/sprayed and rubbed in as directed but it didnt help the prob, so i got a new product that i add 10 mil to 16 oz of water and than soak her in it for 20 min, i just did this and her old skin came off easily with very light rubbing, except at her tail, i noticed she had 2 notches in her thin part of her tail, as the skin was coming off it was getting stuck there so i as lightly as securely as possible tried to remove it, i noticed the one notch was about .5-1 cm from the end of her tail so i took extra care trying to remove the bundled up skin stuck there cause the notch was noticably smaller, like half the thickness of the thinnest tip of her tail, but even as careful as i was the tip was so fragile it came off, my snake diddnt seem bothered by it or even noticed and there was no bleeding, i read other forums about tail tips coming off but i love animals and dont want to cause harm or pain to any especially those in my care so i figured it best to start a convo with experienced people about my specific situation. I realize this happened by her not shedding all the skin at the tail and it becoming restrictive so im looking for advice on how to prevent this from happening again, what to do now, and after the rip came off i left a lil more shedded skin that got stuck there as i was rubbing it off and after the tip came off and that skin wasnt coming off/was stuck i was to afraid to try and continue removing it since there is still one more thin notch about 1.5-2 cm from where her tip is now left and i was afraid of it breaking off there too. Also since the notch was caused by the skin restriction will it get better now that there is no more bunched skin there or is the damage irreversable. So advice on all the above would be greatly appreciated, also again what do i do about the very lil bit of skin left/stuck on her tail since i dont want to cause another notch or any more problems. Thank you very much, Nick

05/31/16  12:53am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: PancakesPK   In reference to Message Id: 2318527

The tail should heal (though not regenerate) with a little time; just watch for infection. If the tip is still an open wound, try putting a bit of antibacterial like hydrogen peroxide on and then following it up with some Neosporin or other similar product. If the skin left on her tail is hanging off then remove it using tweezers or scissors, as long as you don’t damage the healthy tissue. On the other hand, if it is restricting the blood flow to the lower section of the tail, see a vet; removing it may lead to problems with gangrene. (Gangrene can come from the tail area with no blood flow becoming infected; in this case the tail tip may need to be further restricted until it falls off to prevent the spread of infection.) I usually move my snake to a smaller, more sterile enclosure when its eyes become opaque to keep an eye on things as it sheds. So far it has worked well, though this may not be an option for you if your snake gets stressed easily.

05/31/16  01:08pm

Reptiles by Myles
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2318546

So what happens if the bone is left on the tip of the tail where the scales fell off?? The same thing happened to me in the same way :( the tail is missing the tip scales but a little skinny pink string is left. It didn’t bleed but My snake who is also just going to be one by the way still has controll of it, will the scales grow back? Or will the bone fall off and the tail will just be shorter from now on. All help is appreciated
- Reptiles by Myles

09/12/16  10:08pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Reptiles by Myles   In reference to Message Id: 2319476

I seriously doubt the scales will grow back; I had a lizard with the same problem and removed the stringy part so it wouldn’t get infected. After a few days and some Neosporin the opening should heal and leave the reptile with a shorter but still functional tail. I’m not sure what would happen if you left the stringy part in tact, but the skin would probably heal around it and leave it sticking out... This could potentially cause a problem, since the bone/tendon is more likely to get stuck on something since it isn’t as smooth as scales.

09/16/16  05:21pm

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area