Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KatD   Dafty   KatD   Dafty   Cphill58   Chameleon_man   KatD   Chameleon_man   KatD   Cphill58   HerpsNotHerpies  

Member  Message

KatD
View Profile

Beginner breeding?

My corn seems to be extremely healthy, size, weight, look wise. I’d love to breed her & see beautiful babies. However, I want to know for sure that I can handle it. I read this article http://www.vmsherp.com/LCBreedingCorns.htm, & I know I didn’t have her at the temps they say they have theirs in January. I keep mine warmer. I believe my only problem would be finding new owners for the babies when they’re born, & also affording the food could possibly be a problem. Does the website I looked at have good guidelines? If so I guess I’d be better off starting next year.

05/12/13  03:48pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: KatD   In reference to Message Id: 2297210

Beginner breeding?

Hi KatD

Firstly yer corn looks stunning but the two most important things in breeding them is being able to afford the food bill for them and being able to find homes for them all so hopefully you will wait till ye get things in place
AJ

05/12/13  04:34pm

KatD
View Profile

Message To: Dafty   In reference to Message Id: 2297211

Beginner breeding?

Thank you! I love her, pictures don’t do her justice at all. She’s got an iridescent shine to her, I was so happy to get her. I’ll definitely wait til next year & start her out right. I can’t wait :) is the website I looked at a good one?

05/12/13  04:41pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: KatD   In reference to Message Id: 2297212

Beginner breeding?

Every breeder has his own ideas on breeding corns suggest you do some more reading and choose your own method
any questions you have post them I’m sure someone will give you there ideas and input
AJ

05/13/13  01:16pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Dafty   In reference to Message Id: 2297242

Beginner breeding?

A good rule of thumb is to make sure the snake is 3 years old 3 feet and 300 grams or better.

It appears that you have a butter corn..?! A bit dull in the image you posted , maybe it is coming into shed? They are beautiful snakes and we have 1 as well.

I read many articles and tried several times , losing eggs each time and then little by little I got my first clutch after 2 seasons. Now I have 2 year old kids and 1 year old kids...they will eat after the first shed ...which takes place in about 10 days after being hatched.

Pinkie mice , frozen thawed ...have at least 60 in the freezer, that will last a clutch of 10, 6 weeks.
More than likely a clutch of 15-20 eggs with some losses are common.

Time your breeding in March and leave the male with the female for 10-20 days to make sure they do the deed several times. Temps don’t have to be lowered at all...at least not for mine and other friends.

Just before the 30 day mark when the female will start the laying process separate them and give the female a home of her own. I use a plastic shoe box from the dollar store inside the 20 long, cut a hole in the lid so she can go in and out. Fill the shoe box 1/2 - 3/4 with damp substrate...aspen or other soft/ safe material. She will go right in and make it her own.

Watch her like a hawk and check for eggs as often as possible between day 28-32. Prep your egg containers and incubator and have it running steady with no errors in temps.
GET A TEMP GUN
temp gun To monitor temps and don’t trust the incubator to be accurate.

No fan type incubator HOVABATOR is a famous brand..decent heating element takes a delicate finger to get it just right...better to be at 80 F - 82 F than up higher ...slower hatch time but healthier snakes.

Hovabator 1602N

If you want to be precise with the weights of vermiculite and water get a gram scale at target / Walmart or wherever and weigh everything...! That way you can calculate how much water loss over a weeks time you have incurred. More on that later...

Digital Scale in grams and oz
Thousands of scales on line ..!! Make sure it has a TARE feature so you can 0 it out after you place something on it ...make sure it does grams and oz. You wont need pounds but most do that anyway.

There are tons more details that you learn by trial and error...like the amount of water to vermiculite and how to weigh it...I like 1:1.5 water ..1:1 is too dry for me and I have lost eggs with that ratio.

How many air holes and how big and where... I just set the lid on my plastic containers loose at a diagonal and check them for water loss weekly. I have used the 5 hole die pattern on top and that dries the eggs out too fast. I like shallow 3" deep 6 " square plastic food containers from the dollar tree..or dollar store. Round is OK too just set the lid on loose.

Ok so you are all set ...you have the scale ...the temp gun and incubator ...some vermiculite from the garden center containers and a freezer full of pinkie mice.

Mixing 1:1 ratio
Place a bowl on the scale and use the tare feature to 0 it out. add 10 grams of water to the bowl add 10 grams of vermic and mix / stir until well blended. This is a 1:1 water to vermiculite

I don’t know how many containers 10 grams will fill but this is just an example...need more make more.

Mixing 1.5 : 1

15 grams water 10 grams vermic

Place your mix into the container/s and make shallow finger dimples so the eggs are exposed slightly. you want about 3/4 of the egg to be covered. with the top exposed.

How to get the eggs in the container right side up....have a sharpie pen and make a dot on the top of each egg as they are found...remove the mommie snake and mark the eggs. If the eggs are stuck together you can leave them all in a bunch ...I prefer to separate...frightening but doable.

Place the eggs in the container with the marked dot up. Weigh the container with mixed vermic...eggs...lid and make a note. 1 week later any loss of weight is water evaporating. Add the amount of properly heated water to the edge of the container with a dropper or syringe ...do not get the eggs wet. If the container lid is sweating and raining moisture on the eggs, dry the lid with paper towel and crack the lid open for a period of time where the moisture evaporates.

Keep everything clean and wash your hands repeatedly to prevent mold and bacteria from developing.

Make sure the temps are measured at the egg or substrate with lid off...not just the inside of the incubator.

You can touch the eggs and remove infertile or dead eggs ...just wash your hands before and after. If you feel that the egg is salvageable put it in a separate container if you have room and try to hatch it

Do not let temps swing wildly get them steady...over heating a baby snake will cause birth defects and death. Better to error on the cool side.

Ok I hope this gets you started...ask more questions as you need.

05/14/13  02:41am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2297276

Beginner breeding?

its a good looking snow corn. I think Cphill58 said it all

05/14/13  10:22pm

KatD
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2297336

Beginner breeding?

Thank you for the info! I’m not sure what kind she is exactly. Is there any way to tell? Or just researching pictures? I’ll definitely take note of your comment when I start breeding. She’s 4’ now, but I don’t know how much she weighs or how old she is. What’s the best way to find out her age?

05/20/13  02:37pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: KatD   In reference to Message Id: 2297529

Beginner breeding?

she is a snow corn snake

05/20/13  07:44pm

KatD
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2297548

Beginner breeding?

Ok thanks :)

05/22/13  02:49pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: KatD   In reference to Message Id: 2297595

Beginner breeding?

I am sure at 4’ she is at least 3 years old

05/22/13  11:15pm

HerpsNotHerpies
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2297612

Beginner breeding?

if you have any black or grey aneryies id would be more than happy to take a male off your hands because im looking for a companion for my 12 year old standerd

07/07/14  03:18pm

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area