Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Misswaggys   Misswaggys   Dafty   Dafty   Sandboaking   Dafty   Misswaggys   Dafty   Sandboaking   Misswaggys   Warlock  

Member  Message

Misswaggys
View Profile

Incubating Eggs!

Hi :)

I’m a Bearded Dragon owner, but a lover of all things reptile :p. Im 18 and from the UK..... And now for the questions..
My neighbour has a pair of Corn Snakes they breed and produce eggs but my neighbour doesn’t incubate them as they haven’t got the time or anything... But anyway I can have the eggs to incubate (as long as I can persuade my mum). SO, here come the questions:

1) I have read you need a plastic container, and that vermiculite is a good substrate, can anybody recommend what substrate they found works best?
2) I also read that the temp. should be at 82F, what have people found that work best?
3) And in order to read the temps do I get a digital thermometer or a temp gun or both?
4) From what age could I give any surviving babies to a pet shop to sell on? As I don’t have the room to keep lots of babies for long, I need to work out whether this is a practical idea or not?

Any general advice would be greatly appreciated :) xx

04/21/13  05:12pm

Misswaggys
View Profile

Message To: Misswaggys   In reference to Message Id: 2296016

Incubating Eggs!

Oh and do I need to think about humidity too?

04/21/13  05:18pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: Misswaggys   In reference to Message Id: 2296019

Incubating Eggs!

Before i go into the ins and outs off incubating i have a few questions
When were they laid ,Wot have you got them incubating in at the moment
AJ

04/22/13  03:16pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: Misswaggys   In reference to Message Id: 2296016

Incubating Eggs!

oops should read posts more closely sorry They haven’t laid yet.
There ain’t no cheap ways to incubate them a do it yourself inc will cost approx £70 or £100 to buy a real one .
Do it yourself inc
Polystyrene box.plastic tub with lid ,vermiculite,Heat source,Habistat controller, thermometer ask at your local reptile shop firstly if they will take them off your hands before going to any expense but as being left with them will be costly and how to go about incubating them they should help
AJ

04/22/13  03:49pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Dafty   In reference to Message Id: 2296077

Incubating Eggs!

A Hovabator is the cheapest and probably the best incubator for a couple clutches. I got mine for $50, so not that bad. Vermiculite or hatchrite work well for substrates. I’m sure you’ve read how to moisten vermiculite by now. My temps usually go between 82-84 give or take a degree or two. Try to keep the humidity high by misting occasionally, and some incubators have trays to hold water so the humidity stays high. I usually feed my babies 5-10 times before selling so they have a little weight to them.

04/23/13  06:42pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2296164

Incubating Eggs!

expense.expense and then if you cant move them on yer left with more expense
Which is why i cant emphasis enough with you to make sure your local rep shop will take them off your hands before you go ahead and incubate them and find you are left holding the baby’s that will all need fed so more expense,
AJ

04/24/13  12:48pm

Misswaggys
View Profile

Message To: Dafty   In reference to Message Id: 2296202

Incubating Eggs!

Thanks for the replies....

I’m planning on making my own with a polystyrene box... I think you guys call it styrofoam across the pond :).
I have already emailed two local pet shops and am also looking around to see if any private buyers are interested.
It seems like things can be done relatively cheaply with the exception of the thermostat which will set me back about £60 but I am on the look out for one on eBay!
Are there any general tips you’d give someone who’s incubating for the first time?

04/24/13  01:52pm

Dafty
View Profile

Message To: Misswaggys   In reference to Message Id: 2296206

Incubating Eggs!

Just enjoy dont stress its all a learning process but wot a buzz it gives you when they hatch
AJ

04/24/13  02:22pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Dafty   In reference to Message Id: 2296209

Incubating Eggs!

Don’t forget to keep the eggs turned the right way. It’s harder than it looks. Good luck!

04/24/13  03:00pm

Misswaggys
View Profile

Message To: Sandboaking   In reference to Message Id: 2296213

Incubating Eggs!

Thanks for the advice :D

04/27/13  04:43pm

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Misswaggys   In reference to Message Id: 2296381

Incubating Eggs!

For corn snakes I put the eggs in a Tupperware container with proper subtrate and I stick them on the top shelf in my closet. Stays about 85 degrees so it works good. I havnt bred corn snakes in years but when I did this is what I used. I’m building an incubator for my ball pythons out of a cooler. Going to cost around 30 bucks but I already have the cooler. I am working on getting an old fridge tho

04/30/13  11:52am

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area