Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Patches the leo   Warlock   Sandboaking   Neworleansvamp   Mr. Herpetology   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Patches the leo
View Profile

Frozen vs live mice?

Hello, I just recently got a corn snake and the previous owner has been feeding them frozen mice. He is about 6 months old and I was curious if I should continue to keep feeding him frozen mice or not.
Thanks Alex.

04/12/13  09:24pm

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Patches the leo   In reference to Message Id: 2295538

Frozen vs live mice?

Always feed frozen if they are willing to take it. It prevents soooo many problems

04/13/13  07:17pm

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 2295600

Frozen vs live mice?

Frozen prevents the problem of availability and having the food attack the snake, but it isn’t perfect. Live is bad because the prey can fight back, and I guess there is a chance of parasites if you don’t have a good source, but on the flip side live is fresh, where frozen is kinda a guess sometimes, and you can gut load them if you’re up for it. I always recommend people feed mice for a couple days before feeding because pet store mice are pathetic skinny things. I think there is a perfect compromise and that is prekilled. It eliminates the risk of injury, but you still know how fresh the mouse is. Frozen eaters almost always take them. I do not use any frozen and my snakes are fine. It’s all really about convenience, and one thing people don’t know is freezing doesn’t kill all parasites. Check out www.vmsherp.com and check out the frozen vs live article in the learning center for more.

04/14/13  07:05pm

Neworleansvamp
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 2295600

Frozen vs live mice?

I agree. I’m a new snake mama and I feed mine frozen pinkies that I thaw in water. Just an easier process and no chance for anything to harm my scale babies. I did some research and everythingpointed towards feeding frozen/ thawed mice . But I suppose it is up to the owner .

05/02/13  12:33am

Mr. Herpetology
View Profile

Message To: Patches the leo   In reference to Message Id: 2295538

Frozen vs live mice?

Frozen

02/08/14  04:01am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Mr. Herpetology   In reference to Message Id: 2303490

Frozen vs live mice?

11 going on 12^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^