Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Themaverick   The Lone Glider   Sandboaking   Reptilekeeper14  

Member  Message

Themaverick
View Profile

Baby cornsnakes, refusing food..please help

I know, I know, will get blasted for this, but whats done is done. I purchased two baby corns last week from "petco". both came into the store that same day.. they are both beautiful snakes and is why I purchased them. I have had luck before with corns from petco, so I gave it another shot. they are both in two separate sterlite containers.. the containers are small. I have uth under each one. temps are around 83 on warm end and room temp(70) on cool end. I am using aspen bedding. I have never ever had trouble with corns, but its been years since I have raised snakes. I am feeding f/t pinkies. anyways, im sure I made a mistake by buying these two as petco just got them in and advised they have no idea if they feeding or not. any tips or hints? its been one week since I purchased. I tried to feed for first time lastnight and they refused. I even tried to brain the pinkies and still nothing, I put each snake in a small container and left with pinky overnight.. at this point when should I try again? petco has a two week return policy.. I would hate to use it, but if I cant get to feed what else should I do? any other hints or tips? I have not handled them either outside of trying to feed...(I also refuse to feed inside there containers) thank you again...

03/19/13  12:59am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Themaverick   In reference to Message Id: 2293982

Give it time. Reptiles need time to adjust to new surroundings. it may take a week or 2 or even 3 or 4 before they will start eating. Corn snakes are by far the worst feeders ever. Lol. They are very stubborn and are known to be trouble feeders. I had one that didn’t eat for almost 6 months. Just give it time and they will come around. You could try heating some water and dipping them in and drying hem off before feeding. The heat on the mouse often gets them to want to feed too. and why don’t you want to feed in their cage? By not doing it, if they do eat after they have eaten and you pick them up to pick them back, they could regurgitate, then all that work is waited.. Thee is nothing wrong with feeding in their enclosure.. it makes them feel safer. Think about it this way, would you want your parents to take you out of the place you are just starting to get use to and put you in a completely different place and make you eat and then put you back? Its not fun.. Especially after being moved from one place to another put in a box and shut in there for however long the car ride was and then put into another place with even more new people only to be taken out and put in a another new place and left with a mouse JUST to be put into one of the old places... think about it that way. it is a lot of stress for only a hatchling to endure let alone any age..

03/19/13  05:29am

Sandboaking
View Profile

Message To: The Lone Glider   In reference to Message Id: 2293994

Cage aggression isn’t really a problem in corns, so definitely try feeding in the cage. Try again in a few days and maybe dip the pinkies in tuna or chicken broth. If that doesn’t work, try scenting with a lizard. I haven’t done this, but some may have to. If all else fails, try a live one. I know you probably don’t want to, but you might not have a choice. It’s hard to say.

03/19/13  04:50pm

Reptilekeeper14
View Profile

Message To: Themaverick   In reference to Message Id: 2293982

Have you tried tease feeding? You could also try scenting it with a frog or a lizard.

03/30/13  09:21pm

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area