Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rabblex3   The Lone Glider   Reptilekeeper14  

Member  Message

Rabblex3
View Profile

New snake owner

New snake owner. Was able to post a picture now.

I was hoping you guys could help me. I was referred to this website on yahoo answers, and i gotta say, members are great. I already got a lot of info from other threads with similar questions. But i had a few of my own.
Any help is appreciated.
1. what is the scientific name for my snake?
2. What size does this specific corn snake reach as an adult.
3. One side of its home is 80• while the cool side is only 69•. Is this bad? I hear 70 is usually the cut off, but will 69 really be bad for my new friend? Florida is getting some cold weather so it ranges from 65-75. I have both a warming pad and a light. Should i use the light on the cold side to get it to low 70’s? Or will having the lifght on one side and the warming pad on the other cause problems?
Thank you in advanced

03/06/13  06:43am

The Lone Glider
View Profile

Message To: Rabblex3   In reference to Message Id: 2293234

New snake owner

I’d just make it 70. its a nice round even number. All corns to my knowledge reach 6 feet, but they are more slender then others. It wouldn’t cause problems, but If I were you I’d just get another low wattage light to get it up to 70 while keeping the heat pad and other light on the warm side.. and Pantherophis guttatus guttatus. I think.... Lol... that or Elaphe guttata guttata. Common Group: RAT & CORN SNAKE. Common Name: Corn Snake. Lol. I think I answered all your questions..:)

03/19/13  05:35am

Reptilekeeper14
View Profile

Message To: Rabblex3   In reference to Message Id: 2293234

New snake owner

The scientific name for corn snakes is elphae guttata. Corns can grow up to six feet, but three or four is more common. I would reccomend a basking spot of about 90 with a warm side of around 85 with a cool side about 80. I wouldn’t use a heat pad and a heat light because that can overheat the cage.

03/26/13  04:32pm

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area