Corn Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rachel_whatever   Xkabx   Atlas 2010   Rachel_whatever   Atlas 2010  

Member  Message

Rachel_whatever
View Profile

Hi, I need a bit of help

Hey guys, I was directed to this site by a friend after I was having some problems with my corn snake. She is about two and a half years old and 3.5 feet long. I had her out today and I noticed up around her head (kinda where her neck would be if she had one) there were dry, grey, flaky scales in multiple spots. She isnt shedding so I dont think its just a bad shed. If you need pictures of it I would be glad to take some. I hope someone can help, thanks in advance! Oh and Im Rachel by the way (:

03/28/12  09:28pm

Xkabx
View Profile

Message To: Rachel_whatever   In reference to Message Id: 2260536

Hi, I need a bit of help

i think i may have had the same thing happen with my everglades rat snake, he had a few dried out looking scales on the top of his head, they looked dry and crunchy. as soon as i noticed i just made sure to keep his humidity alittle higher than normal for a bit, a couple weeks later he shed and the scales were fine, im thinking i just let the humidity drop too low for too long. maybe try a moist hide for your snake and bump up the humidity alittle, hopfully they are just a little dry and she can fix it with a good shed.

thats psycho in his moist hide, just a tupperware container, most people use moss but i cant find it so i just use paper towels and mist them alittle everyday changing them twice a week.
i hope its as simple as that for you good luck rachel

keith beaton

04/01/12  10:42am

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2260965

Hi, I need a bit of help

You could try the method posted above, but if for some reason that still doesn’t work next time he sheds, take him to the vet, it could be scale rot or some other infection, usually it’s treated with antibiotics or fungal treatments, it’s only serious if it’s left untreated. For now, keep the humidity high, be sure to place a humid hide when he sheds, and if you want to, soak him daily or every other day in warm water for about 10 minutes.

04/01/12  12:00pm

Rachel_whatever
View Profile

Message To: Xkabx   In reference to Message Id: 2260965

Hi, I need a bit of help

Thanks! I gave her a warm bath last night ( not that she would sit still in it -_-) and I called the vet and they said to wait until her next shed and if its not better then to bring her in. Im going to try the moist paper towel but do you (or anyone else) have any other ideas to keep the humidity up? Thanks again!

04/01/12  12:32pm

Atlas 2010
View Profile

Message To: Rachel_whatever   In reference to Message Id: 2260978

Hi, I need a bit of help

How many hides does she have? She should have two, on the warm and cool side. Take some wet shapgnum moss (sold at most pet stores in bricks) and place it in the cool hide. This will give her a humid hide 24/7. Anothre way to increase the overall cage humidity is to place a water bowl directly under the light, so when it evaporates the humidity will go up. You can also just mist the cage daily, but the other two options are easier. Good luck! By the way, you don’t think you could post some pictures, do you?

04/01/12  02:21pm

Back to Corn Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area