Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Computer Help Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Computer Help Forum

Mama42   Winkpw   Winkpw   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42   Winkpw   Winkpw   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42  
 Member  Message

Mama42
View Profile

Ive been attacked!!!!

ok im not sure how long im going to have internet cause i got attacked, i think by that malware that i found. so, i hope you guys find this soon.

"waiting for about blank:" is what holds my pages up when im browsing. i looked it up and came up with results for adware removal sites. i got the hijackthis program. and i also found different programs that i thought i needed to remove it, but it seems i did not. here is a list of ones i got and if you can just tell me wich ones i should just get rid of, that would really be helpful. thanks.

Registry Mighty
Registrar registry manager
Recuva
AdAwareAway

these were ok but didnt work for me. i got the recuva a while back. just thougt id throw that one in there to see if i need it.

not only is it slowing me down, but its redirecting me, and when i pull up the internet, it makes multiple tabs come up as well. it has messed up my Java where i cant play games, and freezes.

its a hijack, right....anyone know an easy fix???

thanks bunches...

09/19/08  09:07pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1863713

Ive been attacked!!!!

I really don’t know what the heck you’re doing wrong here. What type of websites are you going to, if you feel as if I am being nosey don’t respond. Do you use Limewire, do you use any P2P programs, torrenting programs....?

09/19/08  10:28pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1863775

Ive been attacked!!!!

...About blank..I’m pretty sure is a standard page loading situation deal..Thing....

...Sheesh, look. I’m not trying to get this thread started on a rough foot. But you really need to chill, how do you know your internet isn’t being disrupted by something that is totally not malware..I mean..Seriously..

EVERY FAILURE IN A COMPUTER ISN’T MALWARE RELATED

Computers will always have bugs. ..Not saying your ethernet card is bugged that is so 1994..But..Yeah internet can go down..Chill..I don’t know how you are getting so much malware...I mean..In the last 4 years the worst malware infection I’ve had was a weak variant of Trojan Vundo...Seriously, I don’t know what you’re doing wrong here. If you could give us a list of what sites you’re going on.(If you feel this is going against your privacy don’t tell us.) And if you use any P2P programs like Limewire, and if you do torrenting, and what have you. . . . .

09/19/08  10:36pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1863786

Ive been attacked!!!!

no. no music stuff. and im not worried about any privacy thing. lol im not surfing any weird or gross sites! its just like i go to web md, animal related places, youtube... my klids go to my space and my yearbook and Blizzard game places...pogo..

on the last post i made, i got a malware from that rogue antispyware!

i googled "waiting for about: blank" and all the results pointed to "how to get rid of spyware" and how to get rid of "about: blank. came to AdwareAway.net.

here is a place that i got some info on it: link
another: link 2
and another: link3

if you look closely enough, it will explain how it hides in your registry. how to find it, etc..

im not paranoid that everything is adware. i clean my computer all the time. sometimes i can fix just by clearing the cache or defrag. i get a virus about once a year, with this year as an exception. i know peeps that get viruses a lot. some that dont run any protection except for a firewall. when they think they have a virus, they just crash it and reinstall their windows. which, i think is stupid cause it can attack your motherboard, but thats their prob...

and i have teenagers...

last time i had a problem it was the power supply.

but, mostly, when i think i have a virus or malware, its a virus or malware! except when it was the router...

what is torrenting???

09/19/08  11:17pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1863829

Ive been attacked!!!!

What do you consider a malware file?

09/19/08  11:38pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1863852

Ive been attacked!!!!

spyware..adware...right?

09/20/08  12:35am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1863886

Ive been attacked!!!!

a list i found on a "geek" site...cant remember which...said that about: blank is another name for "coolwebsearch", which is a spyware. they sneak on when you visit certain places and go in and do..whatever it is they do on your computer. im not freaking out. im a little stressed, but thats normal for me. before someone asked why i paid 100 bucks to have a virus removed when someone on here could help me with it.

btw...if i was to crash/reinstall my windows, would it fix the probs? i already reset it. but, maybe i just need to do a reinstall. somewhere i read that also.

i tried to reinstall Java in the add/remove programs, but it still didnt work. when i click on a pogo game, it tells me i need java....

09/20/08  01:30am

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1863908

Ive been attacked!!!!

I’m going to hate myself for saying this, but you really don’t know what the heck you’re doing. Buy a Macintosh computer, you have a less chance of getting malware on that than Windows. ..I really have no idea what the hell you’re doing wrong here, but uhh..Yeaah. Macs aren’t that great, Windows is better. But you don’t seem to know how to handle Windows without getting malware.

09/20/08  01:33pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1864157

Ive been attacked!!!!

hey!! im learning here!! im not going to give up! if you dont want to help me, then dont post! this IS the computer help forum, right...sorry if im annoying you, but im trying to save money by looking on the computer for help, instead of taking it down and getting it removed and paying $100 to do it.

i know theres a way to remove this. it tells how in one of those links if you read it you will see. i just dont have a disc to reinstall. i need to get that from my aunt. and no! im not doing it myself, i have someone that can.

if i knew what i was doing, i wouldnt need to ask for help!

09/20/08  02:23pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1864185

Ive been attacked!!!!

I completely understand. I’ve told you where to go for good information.

Eggxpert.com

...I was helping wasn’t I? Giving up, no? Saving you time-yes....

09/20/08  05:17pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1864300

Ive been attacked!!!!

..Can I have a name on the malware?

09/20/08  05:18pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1864300

Ive been attacked!!!!

eggxpert was a little intimidating. lol i went over there. didnt understand what they were talking about. ill try it again though...i did go over to allexperts.com. they havent written back though.

yes. youve been very helpful. but, it doesnt help to be told that i cant handle a computer. id expect hearing that out of some geek that thought he was above people that are computer illiterate. i am trying to become literate and i dont have someone right here to help me. i am the only one that knows anything about computers at all in my house lol....but, i only know whats been taught to me. ive only been learning for about 2 years so far...on this computer....LMAO and people i do know (that think they know about computers), tells me i dont need all these programs..ie: spyware/adware removal programs or Ccleaner...so, im listening to to different people and different info.

i dont know what the name of malware or adware or whatever it is...just about: blank

this is where they told me to find it in the regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindowsAppInit_DLLs

those links up above explain it all...

ok this is where it gets confusing.
"The About:Blank homepage hijacker is a variation of a more advanced Cool Web Search hijacker. There are several variants of the About:Blank hijacker and all of them are difficult to remove manually. This hijacker is also referred to as the HomeOldSP hijacker because of the changes to the registry that can be seen using HijackThis such as
R1 - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain,HomeOldSP = about:blank

my home page right now is Yahoo.com. not about: blank. i do get redirected get errors constantly. and im getting the "waiting for about: blank at the bottom of the page while the page is loading. its holding up my browsing and sometimes it just says it cant find the page. i click off and then try again and get the page up fine, but it lags and freezes.

anyways...idont know. conofusing the hell outa me!

09/20/08  07:22pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1864366

Ive been attacked!!!!

Well you don’t need all those removal programs..

09/20/08  08:05pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1864412

Ive been attacked!!!!

ok the guy over at allexperts.com led me through the removal. it was ALL mywebsearch and coolwebproducts! almost every entry was one of those. and one rogue spyware program. so far so good. if you want to see results, i dont mind sharing so you can see what i mean.

09/20/08  10:05pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1864529

Ive been attacked!!!!

it seems i still have that annoying about: blank!!! i guess ill go tell that dude and see what he says.

09/20/08  10:06pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1864529

Ive been attacked!!!!

did you remove about blank yet?

10/22/08  10:25pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1885891

Ive been attacked!!!!

btw...my "about blank" is gone, but my computer is in the shop right now..getting all the spyware removed!

i changed from IE to Firefox and thats a peice of crap! not only wouldnt it stay up (kept crashing), but when i tried to remove it, it messed up my settings. so, when i get the puter back, im not getting that firefox again!! and i read that firefox has a lot of probs/bugs and has probs running on XP, which i have...

anyways...

11/04/08  03:20pm

Back to Computer Help Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area