Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Computer Help Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Computer Help Forum

Mama42   Mama42   Mama42   FutureVet123   Mama42   Mama42   Marg   Mama42   Winkpw   Winkpw   Herptilyen   Mama42   Mama42   Mastiffgrrl   Mama42   Winkpw   Winkpw   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42   Winkpw   Mama42   Mama42   Spanky10940   Mama42   Mama42   Winkpw   Cphill58   Cphill58   Cphill58  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Mama42
View Profile

Here we go again.....

ok. ive had lots of problems with getting viruses and i finally found a program that has high enough security and it scans every night. the only thing that comes up are tracking cookies, which the antivirus program catches and takes care of. ive had this program about a couple of weeks now. it the Norton program...

ok, so 2 days ago i started noticing an error message coming up at start up. it says "the boot disc has failed", or something... i have to restart and then it comes up.

then, yesterday i started getting a problem with my Yahoo! not coming up. the message im getting here is "this application has failed to start because idle.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix the problem."

now!!!! im getting a window coming up for my content advisor because i have kids and the program it is trying to block is called "javascript:noop2 (newswatch)." i googled this and came to a site that says to use a virus remover. that means this is a virus, right?

this all sounds like i have been infected. tho, im running the scan once, even twice a day sometimes. i dont surf the net that often. just sometimes for animal-related issues or kid issues and home and gardening stuff. how can i get a virus, i ask!!!???

the thing is, is i clean my computer and check for worms and such. i do have to run cookies, tho for this site and for some other features. i also have a firewall....

any idea........??

12/06/07  11:53pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1538362

Here we go again.....

also, has anyone ever heard of Google causing a problem on their computers? like enable worms to get in or cause viruses?

thanks for any help....

12/07/07  12:24am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1538383

Here we go again.....

12/13/07  12:58am

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1544990

Here we go again.....

Google hasn’t caused us problems so far, but the advertisements it runs definitely do!
-Jeni

12/13/07  07:02pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 1545604

Here we go again.....

lol i definitely dont click on any ads.

i just reinstalled my Yahoo!, GOT RID of GOOGLE!!!, and had to totally reinstall my IE. so far, so good (crossing fingers). but, havent checked the startup yet to see if the boot disc is still "corrupt" (crossing fingers).

12/13/07  08:02pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 1545604

Here we go again.....

ok. i think i fixed everything, except that stupid javascript:noop2. how do i get rid of that thing???

anyone know??

anyone.......

12/19/07  10:11pm

Marg
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1551474

Here we go again.....

I know Java Script is used mostly to load and run a lot of programs, like yahoo games, but I have never heard of javascript:noop2

You can go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and delete/uninstall there.

12/20/07  08:32am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Marg   In reference to Message Id: 1551735

Here we go again.....

thanks for responding. i thought this forum had gotten abandoned lol.

nope. its not installed or "in" my computer, its some kind of program or something. one place said its used to send info over the web and somewhere else said it means no-op or no operation and that when a program is idle, it is used to keep it running (or something like that). the internet guy came to fix another problem and he said it might be a peice of news (for the newswatch)thats trying to show up and that it might have a bug in it.

anyways, i ran a check and its not anywhere in my computer, so i cant delete it.

still, i tried reinstalling, that didnt get rid of it. i even tried a roll back, and couldnt (obviously i dont know how!). guess ill deal with it. its driving me nuts, tho......

thanks for your help :)

12/21/07  01:52am

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1545699

Here we go again.....

Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 while the BIOS is booting up at start up on your computer..And scroll up to SAFE MODE...And do the nortan scan from there

GL

12/28/07  04:50pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1559061

Here we go again.....

And if you are having problems with your DLL..It might be busted..Or messed up after the old virus, might need a fresh reinstallation of Windows it sounds like. Eggxpert.com could help ya out

12/28/07  04:52pm

Herptilyen
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1559066

Here we go again.....

use this
http://www.siteadvisor.com/presiteoffer.html?domain=repticzone.com&suite=false&premium=false&client_ver=2.6.0.6253&client_type=IEPlugin

12/31/07  06:32am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Herptilyen   In reference to Message Id: 1562274

Here we go again.....

Winkpw...thanks! im going to try that, as ive been told to scan in safe mode...i scan every night and still get tracking cookies and downloaders...ill try it, tho...

Herptilyen...what was the site for? i went there and it scanned RZ and, well i knew that was fine... but, was i suppose to continue on to something else??

thanks guys!!

01/02/08  12:35am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1564932

Here we go again.....

oh and guys... be careful where you send me !!! i get viruses real easy lol....

01/02/08  12:39am

Mastiffgrrl
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1564942

Here we go again.....

Are you on a DSL connection? If so, your IP may have been targetted. You may need to do a format of your harddrive and reinstall windows completely while disconnected from the internet(with the cable physically unplugged). After the reinstall, the first thing you would do before plugging the internet back in would be to turn on the windows firewall. Then plug in your DSL and do ALLLLLL of your windows updates that are available right to now. windowsupdate.com is good for that (it’s the official site). Once that is complete, you should be protected. Then you can reinstall Norton and the rest of your programs.

Please note: If you do this, ALL of your information will be lost. If there are things that you want to save, you will have to have them backed up to a disk/CD before you perform the format. I would also verify that the information you want is on the CD before continuing by opening it on a different computer.

Good luck!
D

01/03/08  07:14am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mastiffgrrl   In reference to Message Id: 1566391

Here we go again.....

no. im not on DSL. its a local company...

the other night my computer shut down on me and i couldnt get it back. it started clicking, like the fan was hitting something and then just shut off! when i tried to bring it up, it said "disk boot error" and then told me to insert disk to continue. though, its working ok now. hmm... i think my hard drive is going out, or something...

anybody got any dynomite? oh, wait...my computer comes with it! its inside all set up. all i have to do is press the button and stand back!!!

01/03/08  03:21pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1566733

Here we go again.....

Alright, looks like you may be experiencing some hardware failure, any knowledge on the system specifications? For example: I run on a 2GIGddr2 533mhz computer with a AMD Athlon 4200 dual core processor 2.21ghz, and a EVGA Geforce 8800 gts 640mb card-Anything within that knowledge base? And to reset your IP-Well just call your ISP and tell them your IP address might have been targetted in a ’spam’ ’malware’ or something attack and you want a new one, unless it is a static IP you will have no problem with changing it..As they sometimes change naturally..And you might wanna bring your computer to a local geek shop or something for repairs and maybe a new hard drive. Also, try using a firewall and a nice antivirus program next time around for example a good combination would be buying AVG antivirus, and Zonealarm FREE firewall, YES FREE..it blocks EVERYTHING from just unisolated signals on the internet, or a port scan..Or even the NETBIOS..

Goodluck.

01/06/08  12:37am

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1570368

Here we go again.....

Oh and you using a firewall Is not going to stop a virus from coming in only a antivirus can do that..A firewall is just a door and lock on your computer from hackers

01/06/08  12:44am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1570384

Here we go again.....

i have AT&T Yahoo, which is actually Norton Antivirus. it updates every day and i scan every night. it picks up at least 1 tracking cookie every night (which i dont know if thats normal). also, in the history part of it, it says it picked up a couple of downloaders and a trojen, but was removed. does that mean that the program caught the virus before i got it or that i got it already and Norton removed it? because the protection i had before, "Avast antivirus", let me get a bad virus and i had to pay a lot of $$ to fix it. i dont understand these programs at all.

for a firewall, i have the Norton AND Windows Defender.

i have been doing a lot of research on how to better protect my computer. i am getting a lot of different or mixed information, which is very confusing. one told me to disable "system restore". is that a good idea? but, i think it was in order to complete a task, cant remember...

ok, another message at the start up...this happens at almost every start up, where windows is suppose to start up, a lot of text on a black screen, then at the bottom, it says "floppy disk failed, to continue press "F1"!" the computer guy asked me if i had a floppy disk...i dont know why, but im thinking about taking it in. oh how i dont want to pay his prices....lol

01/10/08  02:16pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1538362

Here we go again.....

Take it in to Geeksquad, most geek shops are horrible and just make a mess of things and upgrade some things that don’t even need upgrading, just take it to Geeksquad get the whole system checked over..And yeah..

01/11/08  10:13pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1576400

Here we go again.....

i will have to look them up. i thought i saw them runninng around in there "geekmobil" lol....

now, can you run more than one firewall at the same time? or will they cancel each other out? i ask this because i read about not having to virus programs at the same time. if so, maybe ill try that Zonealarm. would it be stronger than Windows Defender? Norton? i dont like the Norton that much...but, i thought the AT&T was going to be a different program. though it says its catching the bad guys lol....

01/17/08  02:45pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1582318

Here we go again.....

Windows Defender is a POS...Zonealarm is simply the best. Use one firewall yes.

01/20/08  01:14am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1586460

Here we go again.....

what is a POS? sorry, but i havnt heard it b4......

is it a firewall? it says it is...

01/28/08  09:57am

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1598123

Here we go again.....

oops! no, it says its a spyware protector.

so, im running 2 spyware protector programs. is that bad? i read it was....

01/28/08  10:02am

Spanky10940
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1598126

Here we go again.....

ok - the first thing to do when you "think" you have spyware is to go straight to the add/remove programs and remove anything that looks suspicious...

IE: websearch add ins... games that just seem to have appeared... etc. cool web search things like that

once that’s done, then go download spybot search and destroy. You can pick that gem up here
Http://www.download.com and search for it as well as process explorer and hijack this.

spybot on it’s own is pretty good and will take care of a lof of junk on your machine. with the other 2 programs BE CAREFUL. Hijack this will pull out registry entries, browser helper add ins etc.... this is a great way to clean things up but only when you know what you’re doing. If you get it and you don’t understand, post the results and I’ll tell you what to pulll

process explorer is great because it’ll tell you not only what’s running better than task manager but also where the little bozo hides on your computer. Most of the things you don’t want running have names like

lox8976y~.exe and so on. Some are not so obvious to pull out.

Lastly, understand that once your system has gotten too much crap on it, sometimes it’s better to just backup and reload everything... FORMATTING THE HDD when you do this will ensure that it won’t come back. Most pc’s today come with restore disks that are very easy to use, just back up your data and then boot the machine with the restore cd.

hope this helps.

Mark

03/03/08  05:35pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Spanky10940   In reference to Message Id: 1646376

Here we go again.....

hi. thanks for your response.

the only thing that seems suspicious is "My Websearch (Zwinky)"... i dont know where it came from (think my daughter) downloaded it. anyways, it will NOT remove from the add/remove list. neither will Google, as i hate google toolbars and such...

when i go into C, sometimes i find weird things, but i dont know what theyre for...

i do keep getting this message though...

instruction at "0x62304390" referenced memory at "0x62304390". The memory could not be read.
click ok to terminate the program.

now i usually get that after browsing for a while and going to different places. then only after i "x" out, do i get this message. i went to a forum that was discussing the problem from way back in 04. they couldnt figure it out either. any idea what it is?

thanks for the respone. i dont know what thoswe programs are for. everyone tells me to go to all thee different places. i found these 2 that i have plus i added the AVG last night. i am really leary as to where to go. too many places. i thought i read somewhere that "hijack this" was rogue....hmm...

03/03/08  10:02pm

Mama42
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1646864

Here we go again.....

ohhh lol in my other post "running more than one antispyware", i posted that SS&D does not run on my computer. i now have ZoneAlarm and SUPERAntispyware+AVG. should that be enough. i also have had reports when using the free download of Registry cleaner that i have 1000s and 1,000,000s of errors on my registry. is that a trick to get me to buy it? lol.....

03/03/08  10:10pm

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1646885

Here we go again.....

For registry repair go with...Ccleaner.

03/04/08  06:25pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 1647906

Here we go again.....

That noise you heard was ...I think your hard drive ...it could be going bad get a new one and start transferring all the stuff you want to save ....an external usb connected type.

Or you could get another internal drive, slave it and transfer items you desire. But that is going to require even more techie knowledge.

If your hard drive goes out you will be lost in space ...lol... That’s what a disk error is. A hard drive is a disk platter, actually numerous disks but that’s irrelevant

CP

04/08/08  02:35am

Cphill58
View Profile

Here we go again.....

POS ...definitely not a good thing ...It could be caused by a viral infection but should pass in a few days.

It could be soft...ware related but you don’t want to wear it!
If it is hard ...ware related they have fixes for this too. Usually a suppository or oarl tablet.

POS = piece of

LOL
CP

04/08/08  02:47am

Cphill58
View Profile

Here we go again.....

POS ...definitely not a good thing ...It could be caused by a viral infection but should pass in a few days.

It could be soft...ware related but you don’t want to wear it!
If it is hard ...ware related they have fixes for this too. Usually a suppository or oarl tablet.

POS = piece of egghead

LOL
CP

04/08/08  02:51am
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Computer Help Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area