Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Communites-Societies Forum

Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   WildWilly   Pe   Carmelita   Pe   WildWilly   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Red Head   Carmelita   WildWillie   Shady   Carmelita   Roachey56   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Shady   Carmelita   Pe   Shady   Strobe   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Roachey56   Carmelita   Roachey56   Carmelita   Carmelita   Roachey56   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita   Hsmomof5in6   Carmelita   Carmelita   Shady21   Carmelita   Shady21   Crowsfox   Carmelita   BoaBabe448   BullyLuv79  
 Member  Message

Carmelita
View Profile

MN Herp Society

I am quite excited.
I am going to my first Minnesota Herpetological Society meeting Friday night. I have never been to one, but have wanted to join for months. It is three hours away...(Like anything else herp related to me) he he
As some of you may have read, I have set a goal: to open a rescue for boid snakes, and be up and running within two years. I know through the MHS I will meet many people and learn many things to help me reach my goal.

Does anyone else belong to a Herp Society (any state)? If so, how do you like it?

Any Minnesota hobbiests out there?

Any other MHS members?

I can’t wait, I’ll let ya know how it goes.

04/01/04  5:02pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 53716

MN Herp Society

Hey, my dad is even going with me. COOL

04/02/04  9:25am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 53716

MN Herp Society

Wow, this thread is sure getting alot of attention.

04/02/04  1:54pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 54024

MN Herp Society

Not that anyone will read this.......lol
The speaker at this months meeting was extremely boring! It was pretty much slide after slide of statistics & graphs. I think he could have presented his information in a much more interesting fashion. Even my Dad thought he was boring, and that says alot!

The rest of the meeting was GREAT! I met some breeders, and got to see baby ball pythons, baby boas, and a baby corn. SO CUTE!!
I also got to see the animals up for adoption this month: 2 bearded dragons, a tegu, a chamelion, a red eared slider, a box turtle, a milk snake, a beautiful boa (I’m not at all biast, am I?) and there was even a Burmese Python, but I didn’t get to see him unless I was serious about adopting him. There was also an iguana, which they said there are many more of, and there are EVERY month iguanas waiting for adoption or foster homes.

I also won a really cool used book that brand new runs like $75.
It’s a HUGE hardcover atlas on reptiles & anphibians.

Over all, I really liked it, can’t wait until next month’s meeting!

04/05/04  1:13pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 54971

MN Herp Society

Ok, I get the hint, I won’t talk about my meetings anymore!

04/06/04  1:19pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 55478

MN Herp Society

Hi Carmelita,

I dont usually look in this forum, if you’d posted in the boa forum I would have responded...come to think of it that’s how I ended up here lol. I think it’s really cool that you joined a herp society. We don’t have one in my city. My husband and I talked about wanting to set up a boa rescue in our area but with our by-laws the way they are, I dont think we could. I think that will have to be my first step change those stupid bylaws. Anyway, my point is I think it is great that you want to start the boid rescue. Oh and I don’t mind hearing about your meetings, just post them where I will see them

04/06/04  3:46pm

WildWilly
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 55534

MN Herp Society

Interesting i never knew this forum existed.

Well g/l Carm on your project.

04/06/04  4:09pm

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 54971

MN Herp Society

I belong to the North Carolina Herp Society. Haven’t been to any meetings yet though, but as soon as I do I will post about it. Back in NY we didn’t have a local one and I wasn’t traveling out a few hours to go to it.

Did you get the big red atlas?

PE

04/06/04  4:11pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 55544

MN Herp Society

That’s better...lol

Pe
Yes, it is big & red. Lots of color pics too. I totally lucked out, because they drew my raffle ticket first, and fist drawn gets first pick of the items on the raffle table.

Forever Dance & Wild Willy:
Do you two ever click on "todays posts"?
That way you see all the current threads, no matter which forum they are in.
That is all I ever use. Even though I do not have anything other than a boa (reptile wise, anyway), I have read some really interesting things in some of the other forums.

Thanks all, for coming here!

04/06/04  5:20pm

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 55566

MN Herp Society

I have that same book...its an awesome book. I got it back in the mid 90’s for about $100. Maybe a few bucks less. What was the other prizes that were to choose from?

I use the "Today’s Post" all the time too.

PE

04/06/04  6:39pm

WildWilly
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 55625

MN Herp Society

I generally stay in snakes and monitors. Those bearded dragon post can be over whelming sometimes.

04/06/04  8:28pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 55625

MN Herp Society

Wild Willy
Wouldn’t it be great to see the boa forum that active?

Pe
Yes, it is awsome! Like I said, it was a used book. Every month different members donate whatever they don’t want anymore for the raffle. I met the guy who donated it, and he got a newer version or something like that. There was everything from neat stuff to junk.

Several aquariams, probably nothing bigger than a 20 gallon (I’m just guessing here) to smaller rubbermaid containers with holes drilled in the top (I won that too), tortoise food (I know I spelled that wrong, but I’ve seen worse) to a pile of pamphelets. Between my Dad & I we were drawn at least 4 times!! Beginners luck! Actually toward the end, nobody was even going up to claim their prize, because unless you had a tortoise, what would you do with a whole case of tortoise food?? Finally a young boy spoke up and said he had a tortoise and he would take the food if nobody minded. Everybody clapped, it was pretty cool.

I was pretty impressed at the attendance of the meeting, there must have been about 80 people there (& it was one of the nicest Friday evenings Minnesota has seen for quite a while). They even had a gal up front signing through the entire meeting!
Other than the boring speaker, it was great!!
I’m definately going next month!

04/06/04  8:47pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 55713

MN Herp Society

Today’s posts eh....well I guess that would make it easier to find the new posts lol. I’ll have to try that. I actually have bearded dragons so I do go to that forum anyway so if it fills up the "Today’s Posts" section I don’t mind hehe.

04/07/04  8:12am

Red Head
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 55870

MN Herp Society

Hey Carmelita,

I am a member of the PNHS (Pacific Northwest Herp Soc.). The meeting tend to have one or two boring speakers but are pretty informative. There were a lot of little critters there for adoption and some for show and tell. I signed up to foster any large snakes til homes could be found. I just want to say some snakes out there are going to be very lucky to have you help them out! Good luck.

J

04/07/04  10:28am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Red   In reference to Message Id: 55941

MN Herp Society

Thanks for the support. I really do benefit from hearing the opinions of fellow herpers. Especially when my B/F is totally against me doing this. Sometimes I give it second thoughts, but after hearing remarks like yours, I know this is what i need to do.
Thanks for reminding me!

04/07/04  1:25pm

WildWillie
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 56077

MN Herp Society

Carm you can never know to much. Unless your in the CIA

04/07/04  6:16pm

Shady
View Profile

Message To: WildWillie   In reference to Message Id: 56261

MN Herp Society

LOL

04/09/04  10:02am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Shady   In reference to Message Id: 57022

MN Herp Society

Well the next meeting is in one week.
Since the last meeting, I have been in contact with the chairwoman of the MHS adoption committee, she is guiding me as to where to begin. I will be talking with her at the next meeting, and going to her place the following day to help clean cages. I am so excited!

I have also researched some in my area, contacted the county I live in, and everything should be on the up & up legality wise. There are no laws preventing me from opening a rescue for boids.

I also spoke with the gal in charge of rodent sales (members can order frozen rodents and pick them up at the meeting) The prices are alot cheaper than where I have been going before this, so I ordered 1 dozen.

My Dad will be coming again, and this time my son will be joining us too.

I’ll write again after the meeting.

04/30/04  2:04pm

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 67677

MN Herp Society

Make sure you have a BIG freezer, for mice, rats, rabbits, and guinea pigs of all sizes when you open up the boid rescue. Within the first couple of weeks you will get a LOT of people wanting to give up their burm, retic, female BC ssp, indian python, rock python, and anacondas. Also, some online rodent breeders will give LARGE discounts to herp rescues (rodentpro.com). Good luck.

04/30/04  8:07pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 67951

MN Herp Society

Hey, thanks.
I don’t plan to jump in all at once, though.
Actually, in the area where I live, there aren’t many boid keepers. Most of my rescues will come from the MHS, in the Twin Cities. And all the healthy ones will propably get adopted out to members. The ones I plan on ending up with are the ones no one wants, not even other members (Sick or REALLY big ones) I will learn alot more this weekend as far as how many a year they get.

05/03/04  1:11pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 68870

MN Herp Society

One more day!!! I can’t wait!!!

05/06/04  5:22pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 70199

MN Herp Society

Ok, the speaker at Friday’s meeting was EXCELLENT. Drastic improvement over last month’s speaker. The topic was Cecillians...SP?
I don’t remember his name, but he was actually a consultant for Finding Nemo. He is a professor from California. Very humorous.

Sat. morning I was at the house of the Adoption Chair. There were a total of five of us, cleaning cages, and it took from 9:30 to 1:30. It was a great experience. Got to see many lizards, snakes, some tortoises and turtles. She had a very impressive Nile monitor with blue coloration....it was beautiful. We worked really hard, but had lots of fun too. This is definately a society worth being a member of.

05/09/04  10:46am

Shady
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 71243

MN Herp Society

definently sounds fun and to see all those reptiles

05/09/04  11:13am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Shady   In reference to Message Id: 71252

MN Herp Society

It was great. It was my first time getting to handle Bearded Dragons! They were so nice & friendly! I did not get to handle any of the snakes, though....maybe next time. I know she makes you wear gloves, since they are not really handled on a regular basis.

05/10/04  9:57am

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 71597

MN Herp Society

Sounds fun, I wish my society was like that.

PE

05/10/04  10:21am

Shady
View Profile

MN Herp Society

Yeah did you notice how soft the beardies skin was most ppl think its hard an rough

05/10/04  4:26pm

Strobe
View Profile

MN Herp Society

Carm, I just found this forum today and reading through everones posts has really inspired me. I keep a lot of reptiles right now but I have never considered a reptile rescue. Reading this has opened my eyes on how great it would be and how satisfying it would feel to help all those snakes. Now I someday hope to be able to help reptiles by opening up a rescue in St. Pete Florida. There are a lot of reptile owners down here so I anticipate a lot of pets. Hopefully I can find good loving homes for all of them. THANKS

05/10/04  8:18pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Strobe   In reference to Message Id: 71898

MN Herp Society

Strobe,
I’m glad this forum was inspirational to you. Just be sure to research all you can ahead of time, so you know what you are getting into.
Good Luck!

05/11/04  12:58pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 72152

MN Herp Society

Another meeting this Friday....
I also found out that the MHS in conjunction with the MN DNR is doing a land survey at a State Park that is not too far from where I live. You have to be a MHS member to participate, they will even provide the campground & fire wood. Pretty cool, huh?
It will be June 18 - 20.

I’ll write after the meeting.

06/01/04  1:21pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 80734

MN Herp Society

I DID IT!!!

I DID IT!!!

I have my first official rescue from the MHS!!!!

I wasn’t even planning on starting this soon, but everything just fell into place! It belonged to the adoption chair herself, but she can no longer use it for "hands on" (that is when they go out with their animals & educate people...hands on) She said he started getting pretty nasty, and she has enough to deal with with the adoption and everything. She said it would be a good one for me to start with.

When I got home...well, I mean my parent’s house... (remember this is all over three hours from where I live) I first cleaned and sanitized the enclosure (which I won at the raffle). Then, as I went to get him out of the bag, I was pretty scared, since I am used to my sweet Koa who has never bitten anyone...I thought for sure he was goung to strike at me, but he didn’t. He has been a total sweetheart so far. (I am not going to let my guard down so soon, though) I bought my first snake hook, just in case ....

Now he all settled in at my house.

The snake has mites, which I have already bathed him for, and am getting under control. The snake also may have a slight RI, which I will monitor, raise temps, and see if that helps, if not....off to the vet.

I am SO EXCITED, so is my son!

We named him Noah...rhymes with boa, just like Koa.
He is a 12 year old boa constrictor constrictor.

I will post pics soon.

Oh yeah, the meeting was great too! We got to see live rattlers face to face! My nephiew came with too, now he wants to join also.

Bye for now, gotta post pics....

06/07/04  1:06pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 83321

MN Herp Society

Ok, this is the cage I won (before cleaning, of course)

This is Noah, my first official rescue

And this is Noah & mt oldest son

Please reply & let me know what yall think!

06/07/04  1:21pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 83330

MN Herp Society

Noah is very nice looking. I applaud you for what you are doing, I think it is so wonderful. I wish you all the best of luck.

06/07/04  2:12pm

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 83330

MN Herp Society

good for you. It looks way dark to be a BCC. That was one nasty cage, for mites there is a good product called something like reptile reliefe de mite/de flea spray.

06/07/04  3:15pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 83381

MN Herp Society

Yup, just bought some on Saturday, plus we put a whole new bottom on the cage.

The cage looks nice now.

06/07/04  3:18pm

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 83385

MN Herp Society

post a new pic of the cage, it looked really nasty.

06/07/04  5:28pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 83442

MN Herp Society

I’ll try to get some pics tonight with my work’s camera, and post them tomorrow. (Just don’t start telling me how wrong my setup is) I am not finished yet. I still need to bleach a branch that is going on the inside, and hang decorative vines on the outside. He does have a hide though. Keeping it simple until I know the mites are gone for sure.

06/08/04  7:53am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 83442

MN Herp Society

ok, this is what it looks like now, but like I said, I’m not done. I want to make sure the mites are 100% gone before I do anything more.

06/10/04  7:34am

Roachey56
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 84583

MN Herp Society

wow. What did you use to clean that thing? pressure washer?

06/10/04  3:55pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Roachey56   In reference to Message Id: 84769

MN Herp Society

lol
Good ’ol elbow grease....

06/11/04  7:06am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 85056

MN Herp Society

Check it out....
This weekend is my first MHS event (outside of the meetings & cage cleaning)

The MHS in conjunction with the MN DNR is conducting a survey of the land at one of the State Parks. Coincidentally, the State Park They chose for this year’s survey is pretty close to where I live.

We will head out to set up camp tonight, and start herping in the morning. We will stay Sat night too, then head for home Sun morning. The MHS is providing the campground & firewood & neccesary permits & everything! It is going to be WAY FUN!

My nephiew is coming, and maybe my son too.

06/18/04  1:41pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 88560

MN Herp Society

Ok....This last weekend was so AWESOME!!!

My son, my nephew & myself took part in the field survey. It was so fun. we caught & documented so many herps....mainly fox snakes, garter snakes, prairie skinks and leopard frogs.

We also gave a presentation at the visitor’s center at the park using the captured herps....so many little kids ( and adults too) got to see what wonderful creatures herps are. Everything we caught was later released...after documentation & a photo session, so this information can be used by the DNR.

This park also had a bunch of manholes where snakes and tiger salamanders found a way in, then cannot get out. The poor things die in there.

We (with permission & help from the rangers, went to each manhole in the park and saved every living creature in them. It was so rewarding!!! It all just fell into place, the way we all worked together as a team. We provided the snake hook, while another provided a net, while another held a flashlight, while another reached in the manhole, while another held his legs so he wouldn’t fall in, while another took the rescued animals, while another bagged them etc....you get the picture.....everybody worked together. We saved countless animals...many were just babies!!

Here’s just a sample of some pics:

This is a Fox Snake being held by one of our members. We found many of these in and around the wood shed.

Here is a Gravid Prairie Skink

This is a Tiger Salamander rescued from a manhole.

This is the bottom of one of the manhole’s, with many trapped snakes in it.....they would have died if not for the efforts of the MHS and the Park Rangers

Hooking a snake

MHS President desperately trying to reach the snakes at the bottom, while another member keeps him from falling in

Here is a young girl admiring a fox snake at the visitor’s center during the presentation

There are more pics I would have liked to share, but I exceeded my limit in the photo server!!

It was such a great experience!. That is the best way I can put it.

06/21/04  1:30pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 89489

MN Herp Society

How rewarding! I would love to do something like that, but I’m pretty sure we don’t have anything like that where I live. Oh well. Keep up the great work!

06/21/04  3:37pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 89540

MN Herp Society

Ok, I have more space, so here is a few more....if you all can stand a few more...hee hee.....I get a little camera happy.

This is just a few of the baby fox snakes pulled from the manhole

Here they just about have one out of the hole

This is my nephew & son at the presentaion

And this is one of the fox snakes found near the wood shed. If you look carefully at her tail, you can see evidence of something that had been pecking at the tail. The scales were somewhat scarred.

06/22/04  7:50am

Hsmomof5in6
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 89763

MN Herp Society

Hi Carmalita! This is so cool what you are doing with your son! What a great experience for him (and you). I was just thinking today (before I saw this thread) that it would be a good experience for my kids if we got into doing some fostering/rescuing of animals eventually.

It would have to be down the road a little though. I’ve got my hands full with my 5 young children right now. Also, I don’t feel I’m knowledgable enough yet to take on critters that might have problems.

I’ll keep a watch for your updates! I can’t wait to show my kids your pics tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!
Lisa

06/24/04  9:58pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Hsmomof5in6   In reference to Message Id: 91125

MN Herp Society

Thanks Lisa. We have a lot of fun together.

I know you come to this website regularly, so you are probably gaining all kinds of knowledge reading the forums, even if you don’t realize it. I bet you know more than you think!
It is also a big plus to have a good vet....If it wasn’t for Koa’s vet, I doubt she would be here today.

We are going to a MHS meeting Friday, so I’ll post next week. I think the speaker has something to do with turtles. Can’t wait to see what is up for raffle, and up for adoption...(not that I plan on adopting, but I love to see them!)

07/08/04  6:21pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 97081

MN Herp Society

Oh My GOSH...I can’t believe I haven’t posted about the meeting yet! well it was on the 9th.
The speaker was ok, talked about turtle watching.

I was asked to be on the adoption committee (they need three people to make the decisions as to who gets what) they were short one, so I got to participate....it was definately a learning experience.

I won TWO more enclosures at the raffle. I think some people were getting mad, as many times as my numbers were called, but hey! They can buy as many tickets as I do, and they can win alot too, right??
(The tickets are 4 for $1.00, so they are cheap, and I usually buy $15.00 worth, so that’s alot of tickets.)

We got to get up close & personal with one of those GIANT milipedes. Wow! is all I can say about that.

I’m glad I went to the field survey, because it was a big difference at the meeting how many people I knew, and got to visit with.

Loads of fun!!!!

07/16/04  4:08pm

Shady21
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 101113

MN Herp Society

my god your winning left and right Any other herps your planning on Taking in or are you not due to you fixing up noahs cage??

08/05/04  12:06pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Shady21   In reference to Message Id: 114709

MN Herp Society

There are all kinds of animals up for adoption every month....but those are not what I am after....Those will probably get adopted out to MHS members, who all pretty much know what they are doing.

The ones I want to take in are the ones no one really wants....for example not too many members want to adopt a sick snake. Or not too many want a huge retic or burm. I ended up with Noah, more as a learning tool. The adoption gal thought it would be a good one for me to start out with and get some practice handling difficult snakes (He was supposed to have a nasty temperment). Except Noah has been a perfect angel since we have had him. He was totally infested with mites at first, so that is probably why he was giving her a hard time. We took care of the mite problem (knock on wood) and increased is food intake (by instruction of his vet). He is doing great, and now he belongs to my son.

We have a meeting tomorrow night, so I’ll post next week about it.

08/05/04  1:13pm

Shady21
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 114776

MN Herp Society

well good to hear noahs doing well keep us updated!

08/05/04  6:05pm

Crowsfox
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 114776

MN Herp Society

Hey there! I stumbled upon this msg board typing in a search for MN python rescue. You are the first MN person I have found online!! I was beginning to give up lol. I am 25 and have been looking into getting a ball python as an addition to my family. I have done alot of research and of course everyone says something different... would you be able to give me some info on the MNHS? From what you have been saying it sounds like a great group to get involved with to learn more about snakes before I bring one home. Thank You for your time...
my email is crowsfox@hotmail.com I’m also on msn msgr under the same email address..

08/25/04  11:56pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Crowsfox   In reference to Message Id: 128966

MN Herp Society

Hi Crowsfox!
It is great to have more Minnesotans on here! This is a great website, stick around!
There wasn’t any Minnesotans before, and within the last week, I think there are three besides me! lol
If you go to the Communities-Societies forum, there is a continuation of this thread, and in there is a link to the MHS website. I will try and put it here too, hope I do it right.

MHS Website

08/26/04  8:33am

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 129095

MN Herp Society

I wanna be in the herpetology society..but I dont know if GA has one and I bet I am too young..well for now I am just gonna ask the petshop if I can do like volunteer work there and if I clean out the cages if they’ll let me hold the snakes and beardies...hopefully they will since my family has been going to that petshop for 10 years...oh well that will do for now...lol

08/26/04  8:47am

BullyLuv79
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 129099

MN Herp Society

Hey that’s cool! I live in Minneapolis :-) I should check them out.

09/20/04  3:12pm

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area