Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Communites-Societies Forum

Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Sweetness   BoaBabe448   Dingledork946   Caroline   Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita  
 Member  Message

Carmelita
View Profile

MHS at the Renaissance Festival

Ren-Fest was a BLAST! I am going again next weekend, with my son!

One of the purposes of the MHS is to: "Further the education of the membership and the general public in care and captive propagation of reptiles and amphibians.
another is: "Educate the members and the general public in the ecological role of reptiles and amphibians.

That said, it is easy to see why Ren-Fest is one of our biggest events for the MHS.

Look & See! These were all taken Saturday at the Festival:

This is me holding a Savanah Monitor

This is the MHS Gator Pond

This is two members with a Reticulated Python

Here is a member with her Burmese Python

Members with a Green Anaconda

This tortoise goes around and collects donations for the MHS

This is the MHS Cottage. This is where we get into costume, keep our belongings, cook, and if we wish, sleep

Gator at Gator Pond

Close up of Green Anaconda

Baby red eared slider

Dominance being displayed in male tortoises

More tortoises

There are alot of different shows at Ren Fest, this was during the Jousting show in the Jousting arena

Well, that is enough for now.

09/13/04  1:56pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 141495

bump

09/14/04  9:16am

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 142016

Wow that looked like a lot of fun!! I wish we had things like that here. Oh well maybe some day.

09/14/04  11:05am

Sweetness
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 142029

AWESOME PICS THERE!
I to wish there was something like that around here! But in Georgia they are very few and far between! LOL
Looks like you had a ball!

09/14/04  2:50pm

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Sweetness   In reference to Message Id: 142085

LOL yea not many herp events down here! it looks like you had alot of fun!!! I wish they had stuff liek that at my pet shop! lol

09/14/04  10:47pm

Dingledork946
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 142381

just to let you know the Rennassaince Festival is not a reptile event. it is a festival for mideval time. just fyi.

09/15/04  10:14am

Caroline
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 141495

LOVE the donation tortoise!

09/15/04  10:50am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Dingledork946   In reference to Message Id: 142506

Yes, you are right, I did not mean to make it sound like it was strictly a reptile event. But the MHS has a cottage out there where we show our reptiles to the public.

There is alot of beer drinking, shops, skits, music, food....and so much more.

09/15/04  1:47pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 142596

I guess for those who read about Ren Fest in one of my other threads ("communities/societies cont.), I gave more of an explanation of what it was there. Sorry if this thread misled anyone.

09/15/04  1:52pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 142597

I wasn’t mislead. I understand that the Ren Festival isn’t a reptile event...however, the fact that you get to show off the animals to the public etc at this event, in the manner that you do is what I just find so great! Where I live snakes the size of ours are actually against the bylaws so we all have to appreciate ours in private.

09/15/04  2:53pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 142612

It was a very rewarding experience.

There are many rules and procedures we have to follow, to avoid any incident.....Like no patrons are allowed to touch the heads of any animal, we have to keep the heads away from the patrons. We must not walk around the festival grounds with our animals in sight. When it is time for the parade, and we have to take our animals to where the parade starts, we have to bag them to get them there. The only animals allowed in plain sight outside the "fence" are the LARGE snakes, which are not held, but kept on the ground, and for every large snake, there has to be a minimum of two people attending it.

Also, all lizards must be harnessed.

We cannot smoke while we are in costume, unless we are "Off stage" which is a couple of areas that only workers can go, so the patrons do not see us smoke.

It was great to answer questions people have, and educate them. So many people think snakes are "slimy". The most common question asked is...."Does it bite?"
The most common answer is....."Anything with a mouth can bite"....or...."Yes, but so do I!"....LOL

My favorite was when a member was referring to his retic, pointed to her tail and said "this end has never bitten anyone"

During the parade, some people say......"Yuk! Snakes", we come back with "Yuk! Humans!"

Ren Fest is full of sarcasm and humiliation at the expense of the patrons. You have to have a good sense of humor to go there. The workers will pick on anyone that will make a good target, they will yell loudly for all to hear as they humiliate and insult you. It is all in good fun, though.

I will try to get more pics this weekend, and post them next week.

09/16/04  1:35pm

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area