Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Communites-Societies Forum

Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   BoaBabe448   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita   BullyLuv79   Carmelita   BullyLuv79   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   BoaBabe448   Carmelita   BoaBabe448   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita   ForeverDance   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Carmelita
View Profile

MN Herp Society Continued

Well I decided to start a second one, since the first one was getting so long.

IF YOU ARE IN THIS FORUM FOR THE FIRST TIME, YOU MAY WANT TO READ THE FIRST MHS SOCIETY THREAD....There is a really neat story there about rescuing snakes from several manholes....and lots of pics!

Anyway....Friday’s meeting....It was OK. They had double the speakers, though, so it got to be kind of long.

I got to be on the adoption committee again. There was only ONE snake up for adoption this month....that is a rareity! There were lots of turtles and tortoises and other lizards though.

Every year, Minnesota has a huge event called "The Renassanse Festival" (I know I butchered the spelling of that word) It is really fun...and everyone dresses up from that peroid. They have alot of entertainment, and beer, and things like real fencing and stuff.
Anyway, the MHS has their own cottage out there, where the members dress up, and show their herps to the visitors.
Two of the speakers at the meeting gave a presentation on that, and the do’s and don’ts for those who participate. I will not be able to go this year, but maybe next year.

I did win a pair of tickets to the festival, though, which I gave to my Dad. The admittance is like $20.00 or something....maybe more...it’s been years since I went.

I will try to post a link, if anyone wants to check out the MHS website....I think there is a section there where they talk about the festival. Plus, we now have our monthly newsletters online. There are really neat articles on all different things....Including Ren-Fest.

08/09/04  09:57am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 117106

MHS Homepage

I hope I did that right....If you go there, and click on meetings and events, then click on Renassaince Festival, there are alot of pics from last years Ren-Fest.

08/09/04  10:07am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 117110

Thanks for fixing that Doug!!! You’re on top of it...big time!

08/09/04  10:29am

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 117126

why is your name bold? did he change the font or something?

08/26/04  08:47am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 117110

I have a MHS meeting tonight...anyone remember Bob Duerr?
(before the days of Steve Irwin or Mark O’shea)
He is the speaker tonight.

Also, tomorrow I am going to the Renassaince Festival!!!!
I will take pics & post next week!

09/10/04  01:07pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 139806

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

09/10/04  01:22pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 139808

I started a seperate thread all about Ren Fest.

09/16/04  01:36pm

BullyLuv79
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 143192

This is so cool! When are the meetings held? Do you know the difference between the memberships? I’m in Minneapolis :-)

09/20/04  03:46pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: BullyLuv79   In reference to Message Id: 145874

Meetings are generally the first Friday of every month...unless there is a conflict with a holiday. They are at 7:00 pm. I believe membership is like $15.00, unless you are a company and plan on advertising in the newsletter. Their website explains the different levels.
www.mnherpsoc.org.

Upcoming meetings will be...

Oct 1
Nov. 5 (board elections)
Dec 3

If you plan on coming to the next meeting, message me so I can say hi to you.

Carmelita

09/21/04  01:24pm

BullyLuv79
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 146402

Ok :-) Do they allow kids? It’s hard to find a babysitter for my 6 year old lol. Do new members join at meetings or ahead of time?

09/22/04  09:57am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: BullyLuv79   In reference to Message Id: 147041

Yes, kids are allowed as long as they are being watched. They do not want them running through the hallways of the college.

New members can join before the meeting, or during the break, or you can download an application from their website, and mail it in with the $15.00
Actually, the meetings are open to anyone, so you can go to a few meetings first, if you want, and decide later to join, or just join right away, then you can qualify for the raffles and the adoptions and stuff.

The meetings usually run until 9:30 or later, but we have to be out by 10:00. Be prepared to pay for parking. Usually the attendant is gone by the time the meeting lets out, so we dont have to pay, but sometimes they are there late.

Hope to see ya at Ocober’s meeting!

Carmelita

09/23/04  10:24am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 147729

Well tonight is the meeting for this month, and I talked to the adoption chair, and I am getting this really sweet cage from her. She showed it to me last time I was up in the cities, but I did not know what was going to become of the rescue at the time, so I did not take it. She still has it, and I am getting it on Sat. when I go help her clean cages.

10/01/04  01:55pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 152593

Last night’s meeting had a beautiful albino burmese python up for adoption, as well as normal burmese python. I was so tempted with the albino. They both found homes. There were alot of animals that did not get placed last night, though. It is sad to see some of these beautiful animals that just get dumped.

The speaker was the owner of "ground gecko freak", and he gave a presentaion on fat tailed geckos. It was really obvious how much this guy loves what he does. I wish more owners shared that same passion for their animals.

Anyway, I am going to clean cages at the adoption chair’s in a little while....by the way, she was on the news last weekend....some fishermen found a Caimen in the Mississippi River, here in Minnesota. It made two channels, and a couple major papers too.

till later....

10/02/04  10:15am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 153228

Well, I got to meet the Caimen that was found in the Mississippi, and I got to assist in cleaning his cage, too. This poor little guy is so skinny, it is sad. You can see the shape of his bones through the skin on his neck. Originally, when he was first turned over to the MHS, they reported he was going to have to be euthanised due to his terrible condition. He is so sick, that he doesn’t really even move. You can pick him right up, and he does nothing. But apparently he has finally started eating, so there is a chance he may make it.....of course, then there is the problem of placing him, if he does recover (in good health, he could become quite nasty).
I hope the little guy makes it, he is a trooper.

10/02/04  08:37pm

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 153649

how are koa and noah? got any recent pictres?

10/02/04  08:44pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 153652

They are doing fine. Koa is in a shed cycle right now.
I have a pic from Ren Fest of both snakes on fence, while my son Daniel and me are in costume. It was a neat shot because the snakes are criss crossed.

This was just two weekends ago.

10/02/04  09:04pm

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 153669

They are soooo awesome! here is a picture of Mosi and my new snake cupid

10/02/04  09:08pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 153669

Our next meeting is on Nov. 5. Then, on Nov 6th, the adoption chairwoman is having a halloween party at her house. This should be fun.....

hmmmm.... what to dress as....

The Devil?
A Policeman?
An Angel?
A Pirate?
A Robber?

Anybody have any good ideas for an easy costume that doesn’t cost alot??

10/18/04  03:36pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 164683

Ok.....thanks for all the ideas....

Anyway, the meeting is tonight....and for the FIRST time my "boyfriend" for lack of a better word (we are actually broken up right now, but he is trying to get me back) is coming with me to the meeting. This is a MAJOR event, considering he has NEVER supported me in my interest in boids, and always HATED it when I would leave town to go to meetings. So this should be interesting.... how he behaves, and if he is going to be a good boy or a bad boy. He is also going to the party with me.....I hope I do not regret bringing him.

11/05/04  08:27am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 175634

hmmmmm...

Well to start off with, as we were making the trip to the cities, I happen to look down at his feet (my boyfriend) while he was driving, and I could not believe my eyes.....He was wearing SNAKESKIN BOOTS. I cannot believe he was going to wear this to the meeting, and to the party

So anyway....he was mindlessly bored during the meeting, and falling asleep during the speaker.....well the speaker was a little boring......good info, but boring presentation

It was about reptiles & salmonella.....all I care to pass on about that is.....WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER TOUCHING ANY REPTILE!!!

Cage cleaning was Sat. Morn., and he threw a fit because I was gone for four hours.....well he finally got out of his bad mood before we went to the party. The party was great, but I was SOOOO TIRED from cleaning earlier that day....we were home by 10:30

Then we celebrated my son’s 15th b-day on Sun Morn, (actually it is really today) and guess what.....My folks gave him a pair of snake skin boots.....He bursted out laughing and said "I can’t wear these to the meetings!"

Over all, the weekend went better than I expected.

11/08/04  12:55pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 177629

No one ever comes here!

11/09/04  08:44am

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 178277

I do Carmelita. Believe it or not I have read every one of your posts. It’s just that I am usually at work (on break) when I’m reading posts so I usually don’t post a response.

I can’t believe he wore snakeskin boots!!!! I would have killed him... and then your son getting snakeskin boots...that’s too much!

11/09/04  08:51am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 178282

lol......ummmm....yeah....... I’m on break too..........ROTFL

My computer at home is down, so the only time I am on anymore is at work......on break......

11/09/04  09:03am

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 178286

I just find I am WAY to busy at home to sit and surf through the posts. So I take some time at work....on break ...

11/10/04  08:47am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 178808

This is how much I love going to the MHS meetings....I am not going to my company Christmas Party this Friday, because I am going to a meeting instead. We will also be having a banquet on Saturday....looking forward to it.....especially because there will be no b/f to be scowly this time....lol

11/30/04  02:58pm

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 191343

Wow you must really love going!! I wouldn’t miss my company "Staff Appreciation Day" (we aren’t suppose to call it a christmas party) for anything. I find it too hard to turn down the free food and drink. Okay well maybe few things... but not much.

No scowly b/f is always a good thing! Hope you have a great time!

11/30/04  04:54pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: ForeverDance   In reference to Message Id: 191381

Yeah, when I found out the Christmas party was on the same night as a meeting, I was bummed, because I have always enjoyed the Christmas parties they throw. But I knew I was not going to miss the meeting, or the banquet. There is always next year. LOL
Plus we will just go to my "b/f’s" Christmas party instead, we hardly ever go to his.

12/01/04  08:38am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 191770

Well both the meeting & the banquet were GREAT!!!

The speakers were not the best, but everything else went super.

Friday’s meeting had a really great raffle, & my nephew’s number was drawn first, so he got this set of really cool bar goblets with faux aligator skin wrapped around the bottom. My son & I got some neat plants. I even donated two enclosures to the raffle. (since I have been getting more cages all the time from the meetings I can give back some of the smaller ones now.) Oh yeah, we donated the proceeds of this months raffle to Reptile Digest.

Anyway there was a boa up for adoption that no one applied for, so I get to take care of him. He has some skin issues....If your reading this, you probably already read the other thread on him. If not, go read it. It is called "brought home a new one"

I hope I can get him back on track.

The raffle at the banquet had some SWEET artwork. I won something there too. A really nice print (There were only four prints made of this particular drawing) of a drawing of a spiny tailed skink (I think) It is custom framed and everything.

We had alot of fun. I do not regret for a minute passing up my work’s party.

12/07/04  08:46am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 195297

Meeting tonight....Yay!!!
No cage cleaning tomorrow, though....*frowns*

01/07/05  09:33am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 215359

Well....the speaker that was originally scheduled to talk backed out on us for some reason.....which turned out to be a good thing, I think. As a fill in....last year’s VP gave a presentation on his research over in Brazil....he has been there like three or four times. His slide show was spectacular!!!

I also found this very interesting......there are MANY new species of frogs always being discovered over there.....so many, that many have not even been named or studied yet.....but they do know which genus they would fall into....they just have not been named yet.

Lot’s of good stuff at the raffle too....I got a Custom Cages T-shirt...(you know...the pic of the Iguana holding a hammer & wearing a hard hat....lol) and some neat books too....one I have never seen before....called "The Really Useful Handbook of REPTILE HUSBANDRY"...the title is somewhat misleading.....it is full of history forms that will come in handy for the rescue....the person surrendering the animal fills out all the info you may forget to ask. It also has these self-test histories you can read....and practice identifying "what was done wrong with this animal’s history"....lots of neat stuff....and a CD too, so you can print all the forms right off your computer.

I also stocked up on rats......one dozen Jumbos....$36.00, one dozen small....$18.00....between that and all the money I spent on the raffle...it got to be a spendy night.....but lots of fun!!

01/09/05  12:52am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Communites-Societies Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area