Collard Lizards Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Baja   This_Kids_   JackAsp   Baja   Baja  

Member  Message

Baja
View Profile

About to get a collared lizard

I’m about to get a collared lizard! Are there any fruits or vegetables that they can’t have or are they all healthy for them? I have a 29 gallon enclosure ready is that big enough for him?

12/17/11  06:37pm

This_Kids_
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2247543

hey im lookin to get a pair of collared lizards too. i think they eat almost the exact same diet as a bearded dragon. but STAY AWAY from ice burg lettuce and citrus fruits like oranges. a 29 gallon tank i think would be ok for one. but something like a 40 would be better. hope this helps :)

12/18/11  06:32pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: This_Kids_   In reference to Message Id: 2247628

They are mostly carnivorous. They can digest vegies, but feed mainly on insects. Some are good about eating salad, many aren’t. What I do is use reptile-nutritious vegies like zuchinini as the only food I give crickets. And as the only moisture source i give mealworms/ superworms.
A 40 gallon tank is minimal. Many are too active even for that. The better you are at making every single square inch of the tank perfect for them, the smaller a cage you can work with. But for a first collared, I would say a 75 is not only more realistic than a 29, but also than a 40.

12/21/11  01:48am

Baja
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2247942

I heard you say that they eat a lot! How many crickets a day or week do they eat usually?

12/21/11  11:17pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2248046

I guess I can get a 40 gallon but I don’t think I’d have enough room for a 75!

02/14/12  10:01pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area