Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Meliquoi   Meliquoi   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Meliquoi
View Profile

Walnut for substrate?

Hello! I am new to this forum. I have been fostering a baby Collard Lizard for about a month. We just got a new 3 foot tank and I would love to use some sand. I have been reading mixed reviews about the various types of sand and if its safe or not for babies. He is pretty small still, nose to vent he is about 3.5 inches. I do not know his D.O.B, so I dont know exact age. At work we have ’store use’ ground walnut shell that I can use for free as Im fostering him thru my store (Petland). Right now he is on reptile carpeting and his nails get stuck in it sometimes, which is one reason why I want to change to sand, the other reason is that I would rather simulate natural habitat. Any one want to add any helpful hints?

It seems odd that in the wild they live on sand and rocks so why not in a viv? One idea I had was to only use some sand on the opposite side of the viv that I dont feed on. He has quite the appetite, when I feed him he runs over to his veggie dish waiting for me to drop the live foods, but every now and again one gets away and he has to chase it to get it....

08/21/11  08:20pm

Meliquoi
View Profile

Message To: Meliquoi   In reference to Message Id: 2233678

Walnut for substrate?

Heres some pics of little dude I took about a week or two ago. His name is Paul Wall.

08/21/11  08:37pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Meliquoi   In reference to Message Id: 2233683

Walnut for substrate?

Pretty much everybody uses playsand. Not because it’s natural, but because a cage of nothing but hard dirt and big, coarse rocks is impossible to keep clean enough in a small enclosed area. Sand and smooth rocks/bricks/driftwood are easy to maintain. The lizards do ingest sand, sometimes even deliberately, and if hydration or temps are off they can become impacted. But a sand impaction is not only uncommon, but when it does happen it usually clears out OK with a little warm water soakage. Of the ingestible substrates, it’s the one that can be kept running through them the most easily. Walnut shells, aspen, etc... not as gut-friendly. And the substrates that they WON’T eat, such as carpeting and river rocks and whatnot, have their own problems. Arguments can be made for tile and/or paper, but I personally still prefer sand.
A deep layer of sand gives you a lot more "cool" to balance off your hotter basking spots. Getting through this summer would have been a lot rougher on the lizards if I was just using paper or tile.

08/28/11  01:33am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area