Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Meejee   JackAsp   Meejee   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Meejee
View Profile

New Member/Collared Care

Hello im new here. i got a collar yesterday. he is yellow and green.

1. Can i turn off his Red-Heat lamp at night?
2. How does yours sleep. mine sleeps on the floor cuddled up
3. Can they eat pinky mice.

PLeaze help with thse questions.

08/02/11  07:55am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231402

New Member/Collared Care

1. Yes, unless the room is cold. At normal room temperature they sleep fine. Just make sure they are warm and brightly lit (not with red) during the day.
2. Mine sleep in their hide caves.
3. Pinkie mice are extremely fatty, and not nearly as high in other nutrients as everybody seems to think. Insects with calcium dust are actually much better than pinkies. An occasional exception might be a female who’s lost a huge amount of weight laying eggs and can actually use the boost to her fat stores. Also, it’s easier to gut-load insects. A pinkie’s belly and intestines are full of milk, which lizards can’t digest. But with crickets and mealworms you can feed them things like zuchini or raw sweet potato, which are actually great for the lizard. In the wild, when they eat a grasshopper, a lot of their nutrients come from the plants that the grasshopper was digesting.

08/04/11  12:38am

Meejee
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2231683

New Member/Collared Care

thanks so much! i have a hide for her, but i might be too narrrow. he sleeps on the floor under the branch but you can see him. ok i will get him a normal light whenever i can.

08/04/11  07:33am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Meejee   In reference to Message Id: 2231705

New Member/Collared Care

It sounds you’ve started out with some shaky info. I’m pretty tired right now, so I’m just gonna play it the easy way and suggest that you check out Suncharmers.com. There are a few other other greats who also have great advice, but none of them are as active online as Eve of Suncharmers is, and, honestly, which one has given the best advice advice seems to depend largely on which one has given advice that the lizard in question happens to agree with.
Start out with Suncharmers, and I’ll riff with you again soon when I’m way soberer and awaker.

08/06/11  02:55am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area