Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Pammers   JackAsp   Pammers   Chippychop   Ekimirie  
 Member  Message

Pammers
View Profile

Pahrump, NV Baby Collard Liz. Need Advise

Hello, its been awhile now sense I have been here, but it seems I need some more advise or help with this baby collard lizard I’ve got. I was out watering this morning and sprayed one of my large planters on our patio and suddenly the small baby lizard body about 2 and half inches long in size ran up the wall behind the rose trellis and all of a sudden the Roadrunner jumped up and tryed to get it I sprayed it with the hose and it ran off. I know they eat the lizards cause all of ours have disappeard in the last few years, but this little one has been on our back patio behind our feeder box for a while now and I have been feeding it Mealworms. Well it was froze on the wall so I just reached up and caught it without any struggle from it. I have it in a box with some grass clipping and a few rocks and a cardboad little house for now. What I need to know is how well do these wild collard liz. keep without being in the wild and what all do you feed them? I have been giving it the Mealworms, but know it must need something else to eat and too if they are too much trouble to keep I will return it to our patio where it has been living and am in hopes that the Roadrunners don’t get it in the future as we have several hanging around our area all the time seems like each year more Roadrunners comes around. Ok please give me some advice on this if you could. Would this little guy be better off in the wild or should I go and buy him a glass tank home to keep him in. I was thinking that maybe I could keep him safe until he is suppose to hibernate and turn him back out would he survive after not being in the wild for a few months? which I think on our side of the world is around Oct. they hibernate? or what should I do with the little fellow? I need some help on this Please.

Pam

08/29/10  01:01pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Pammers   In reference to Message Id: 2172282

It’s better to give them time to scout the territory and prepare for hibernation, in case it takes them a while to find someplace just right. Especially since to keep one healthy for a few months you’re hoping to have to spend about as much (possibly three digits) as you would if you were keeping it permanently.
Sand makes a good cheap substrate and bricks can be made into good basking towers, and hides don’t need to be anything fancy, but you still need at least one HOT bulb with a ceramic fixture that can handle the wattage, and at least one bulb that produces a large amount of UVB (cheaper ultraviolet bulbs do not do that), and a good-sized tank with well-bentilated screen cover ( I start captive-bred hatchlings in a 29 gallon that I found on somebody’s treelawn, but they outgrow that in a few months, so it’s silly to actually go out and buy less than a 40 gallon,) and... let’s see... crickets, calcium powder, a light timer because they are very affected by changes in light cycle, possibly, depending on how high you run your air conditioning, they may need some mild undertank heat that turns on when the lights do, just to make sure they wake up and come out and bask, since tank lights don’t move across the sky and shine into hiding places the way the sun does... oh, and with high-temperature basking desert lizards, the only way to monitor all the thermal nuances of their habitat is with an infrared temp gun.
There are actually a lot more rules to keeping them healthy in a few square feet of space than there are when they’re out with all the brutal elements. I can’t even specifically say "Use a 120 watt Reveal bulb and a 10.0 UVB striplight, or "Use a 100 watt MVB bulb" or anything like that, because it depends on what precise rock arrangement your lizard likes, how warm the room is, how much ambient light the room already has... and a lot of that stuff may vary. A lot of us keep more light fixtures and bulbs than our tanks "need," so we can quickly change things when there’s a change in the weather. I also came up with a way to cheat by installing a few closet bars above the top, so I can actually vary the height that the lamp hangs from. But that too adds cost, work, and home alteration... which I can’t see being very rewarding for you with such a short-term visitor.

08/31/10  11:16pm

Pammers
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2172863

JackASP,

Thank U for getting back with me. Yes I think it wouldn’t be wise to keep the little fellow for a short time so I have decided to put him back on my patio and hope for the best. He stays behind my bird feeder case and so far so good. The Roadrunners showed up yesterday and was on my patio, but where this little lizard is hiding its impossible to get to him, I ran them off once again and he is still ok cause he came out last night before dark and was at my glass slidding door just looking around so I took him out a mealworm almost as big as him and he got that in his mouth and ran back behind the feeder case in a little while I look back there and he just about had the whole worm eaten just a little bit was showing from his little mouth. Out here on the desert we have these ugly water bugs some really small and I am sure he must be eating those also. Ok I will hope and pray that he stays street smart when it come to those Roadrunners and he can survive to get full grown. I am not always home and when I have to leave I worry that the Roadrunners will get him, but if they do it just can’t be helped this is one reason why I decided not to try and keep him cause I am not always here and there wouldn’t be anyone here for a few days + at a time to take care of the little guy I guess its a he or she?. Thanks again for getting back with me. I really did appreciate it :>)
Pam

09/02/10  02:11pm

Chippychop
View Profile

Message To: Pammers   In reference to Message Id: 2173222

lets see some pics of the little guy!!!!!!

09/06/10  11:23am

Ekimirie
View Profile

Message To: Chippychop   In reference to Message Id: 2173943

I hate to say this but there are very few animals if any that can catch a road runner sounds like things are very very out of balance there, you need to either catch and relocate some of those roadrunners or eliminate a few or there will be no lizards at all and they will not leave until they get the last lizard,and they will be back come spring to get what ever new lizards there are, once they are used to getting lizards in an area they will always come back,and their offspring will come back there too,bottom line is if there are roadrunners around there will be no lizards,to me roadrunners are a pretty bird but they are good for nothing, I wish they were extinct like their only cousin the cookoo bird,I live in Oklahoma believe it or not & had the same problem I even went as far as stocking lizards on my property and they got everyone of those too,I have no lizards at all now, I did eliminate a couple of them and they did leave after every lizard in the area was gone,but it was too late now the fire ants are taking over here and get anything that nests on the ground,I am planning on moving back west Oklahoma sucks. good luck.
I am not advocating killing anything but if you are a lover of reptiles you can not be a fan of roadrunners there really are way too many of them,my brother lives in calif. and they got all his lizards in his yard too. check out the website Crazy Crotaphytus

05/13/11  10:31am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area