Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Pat10590   JackAsp   Pat10590  
 Member  Message

Pat10590
View Profile

Why is my eastern collared acting weird?

i purchased my eastern collared lizared about 2 weeks ago. and starting about 5 days ago (when i switched from the carpet, to calcium sand) my lizard "iggy", has been periodicaly jumping off of his basking area and pacing along the cages glass, jumping in his water bowl, and tracking the sand all in his food dish and waterbowl. its kinda getting annoying because i keep having to replace his water 2-3 times a day because it gets tainted with sand. he also digs up one corner of the tank all the way down to the carpet bottom. i dont know if he likes playing in the sand or is trying to escape. but when he paces back and forth at the glass, it seems like he see’s his reflection and thinks its another lizard and trys goin after it...im not sure to do something or to let it go. but some advice would be awesome...thanks

07/24/10  05:01pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Pat10590   In reference to Message Id: 2164769

I think you’ve got a female. Males climb more, to stake out territory. Females dig more, because they produce multiple clutches of eggs during the summer. Make the sand deeper and keep one corner of it moist.

07/24/10  10:31pm

Pat10590
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2164827

awesome, thanks alot. i never knew that females dig because of producing eggs. that helped alot

07/25/10  12:51pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area