Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

JackAsp   Reptileruler1   JackAsp   Reptileruler1   JackAsp   Reptileruler1  
 Member  Message

JackAsp
View Profile

Annual firefly warning

Now that I’m starting top see a lot of them at night, it probably pays to mention this. Fireflies are toxic. Wildcaught moths, spiders, and grasshoppers are all suitable dietary additions for your collard lizard. Higher-bacteria items such as flies are debatable. But firefly poisoning kills. No doubt there are some species have developed an immunity, but collareds aren’t that.

06/18/10  01:40pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2156709

Annual firefly warning

This form is dead

06/28/10  02:17pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 2159182

Annual firefly warning

You got that right. Figured I’d mention it for the lurkers, though. Pet shops keep selling ’em, and there sure aren’t that many owners posting, but SOMEBODY’s gotta be buying ’em.
Got any babies yet? Most of my eggs from May haven’t shriveled yet and I’ve got two big fat girls digging furiously these last few days. I think Lupe’s ready to drop her third clutch of the year, but odds are Chica will hold hers in a bit longer, just based on how voracious her appetite’s been. She always goes for the really small hornworms during egg-season (any newbies reading this: wildcaught hornworms are ALSO toxic, but the domestic mulberry-fed ones are one of the most nutritious things you can get for them) but this weekend she actually, I kid you not, ate one of the ones that was getting ready to pupate! And that’s not an out-of-the-blue feeding either, that was after eating a lot of food on a dailly basis. Oh, it wasn’t one of those completely giant middle-finger-sized ones that a lot of them grow into, granted, but still it had to have been equivalent to about thirty large crickets! When the eggs do come I think that girl’s gonna be able to make a whole omelette.

06/28/10  09:02pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2159283

Annual firefly warning

well I have one female that is gravid and she is about to lay but it will be her first clutch of the year she had a late start.

My collareds have been enjoying the dragonflies lately I don’t have any resent photos of that but here are some pictures of the gang

Just to show how well my male C. Bicinctores

and my Green anole which will be 11 soon

06/28/10  11:28pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 2159316

Annual firefly warning

Wow. What’s the age record on those guys now? Mine, back when I had them (70s and 80s) rarely even made it 4 years.

06/30/10  03:38pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2159640

Annual firefly warning

I’m not sure i’ve heard a story of one making 9 years but that’s the oldest.
I think the more space and proper care you give them the longer they live my guy lives in a 75 gallon with 2 females and gets 2 UVB lights on both ends of the tank.

06/30/10  06:52pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area