Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

JackAsp   Reptileruler1   JackAsp   JackAsp   Reptileruler1  
 Member  Message

JackAsp
View Profile

FINALLY!

Chica carried her eggs forever last year before laying them, and apparently it’s the same this time. She ovulated all the way back in March, and by this point I pretty much figured the eggs were re-absorbed. Apparently not. She started digging a lot today, and now she’s way down there. I think I’ll have eggs in a day or two. Now whether or not they’ll be GOOD eggs, I honestly have no idea. I don’t even know if she and Pancho have mated this year.

05/05/10  08:39pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2145624

FINALLY!

awesome keep us (me) updated

05/05/10  11:54pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 2145676

FINALLY!

It didn’t play out that well. Chica dug all day and night, and Lupe stayed upwatching her instead of going to bed a little before lights-out like they usually do. Then the next morning Chica was out, not really looking like she’d laid many eggs, and Lupe, who’d never even shown gravid-colors this year, was down in the egg-corner. After Lupe’d been buried for a day and a half I got worried and dug her up, along with ten eggs. She didn’t seem like she was done yet, so I left her down there and put a cave on top for privacy. The day after that she was very skinny and there were three more eggs. So.. all together, 13 eggs, mostly from Lupe, based on who lost the most weight, but I have no actual idea which eggs are from which lizard. Last year they shared a nest too, but I could tell which were whose by where they were clustered. This time they’re scattered all over.
Most of the eggs are obviously no good. A couple might be fertile, although I’m not holding my breath. I really don’t think there was any mating this year. I put them in the incubation tub anyway. Whatever happens happens.
A day later, aka this morning, she’s still looking a little rough. I have to work from 9AM until about 11 at night, so to make sure she started on the right path I switched the timer an hour forward toget the lights on at 6, waited half an hour for her to come out and bask, and then physically lifted her up. By 7 she was eating from my hand. I just now took a break to let her body temperature catch up with the bellyful of roomk temperature food. Now I’m going to go see if she, or anyone else for that matter, wants a little more.

05/09/10  06:57am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2146225

FINALLY!

Still skinny, but very active and eating everything in sight. She’ll be fine.

05/11/10  03:29pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2146768

FINALLY!

Good to hear mine will be laying soon aswell

05/11/10  06:30pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area