Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Hv   JackAsp   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Hv
View Profile

New collared

DOES MY NEW PET NEED TO BE IN THE DARK AT NIGHT? AND IF I DO HOW DO I KEEP IT WARM?

04/24/10  04:36am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Hv   In reference to Message Id: 2142949

New collared

Yhey like bright, warm days and dark nights. But they don’t have to be as warm at night, so if the room is in the 70s you’re fine. If it tends to get colder than that, you have other ways of providing heat that won’t give it jet lag. Ceramic heat emitters, red light bulbs, or even an undertank heat pad as long as you use a lamp dimmer to turn its power way, way down. My lizards sleep fine at night even when the room is in the low 80s, but by the mid 80s it’s going to interfere with their rest, so you don’t want too much of a good thing.

One of my 2009 hatchlings, Nino, took a little bit longer to reach adult "sturdiness" than usual, so for a while I was extra paranoid about his temperatures and used an undertank pad. But even then I didn’t run it at night. It was under one end of the tank, which one of his hide caves was near but none were directly above, and I had it plugged into the same timer as his lights so when the lights clicked on in the morning the floor would immediately heat up, too, which meant even if he wasn’t out and basking (usually they’re out the minute the lights turn on!) he’d still get that thermal boost, which would make him move out, into the light, which would then stimulate normal behavior.

In my opinion, most room temperatures are not too cool for collards to safely sleep at. They might, however, be too cool for the lizard to easily wake up at, which can lead to lethargic non-eating non-basking days, which can lead to a lot of other problems. It’s how quickly they come out to warm up and eat and poop thst determines whether or not you need to worry. And don’t skimp on day temps.

Do you have an infrared gun? More than any expensive light bulb brand or cute little ceramic cave or any other thing that costs more than the 20 bucks or so a temp gun runs, it is the most valuable tool you can possibly get to assure your lizard’s longterm survival. Until you can actually scan every square inch of every object in the cave, you don’t realize how many hot and cool spots there are in unwanted places, or how many things warm up far more quickly.slowly than it seems like they actually should. When you have that, advice on precisely what temperatures you want different parts of the cage to be during the day and what hoops you need to jump through to make them happen will make a lot more sense.

04/25/10  11:24pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2143419

New collared

Among my many other typos, I meant to say "scan everything in the the CAGE, not ’cave..."
I hate this new keyboard. The old one had letters that glowed in the dark...

04/27/10  11:43pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area