Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Paigeleanne   JackAsp   Paigeleanne   Paigeleanne  
 Member  Message

Paigeleanne
View Profile

Baby collared lizards- help please

hi, i have 2 baby collared lizards and one seems that it cant go to the toilet, the pooh is there ready to come out but it seems that it doesnt have the strength to push, is there anything i can do to help?? and the other one walks as if it is deformed but it wasnt like this when i got it but it has been bit a few times of the other one but is new fine with it, does anyone know what this can be ?? thanks .

03/26/10  05:19pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Paigeleanne   In reference to Message Id: 2136290

Constipation is usually either dehydration or insufficient heat. Soak the lizard in very shallow water. It only has to be deep enough for the vent to be submerged; you don’t need it sloshing up the sides and back... sick animals do not need to be forced to work to keep their face out of the water, obviously. As long as the cloaca is touching the water, the intestinal tract will be able to directly hydrate. Plus, odds arte the lizard will lap at the water, too. Do that for 40 minutes each day until the problem is fixed. Probably won’t take more than a day or two.
The other one sounds like it’s either getting MBD (which is prevented by lots of calcium and UVB light, but may need veterinary aid to actually reverse) or was more badly injured by the other lizard than you realized. Either way, a vet trip for that one seems in order.

03/27/10  02:40am

Paigeleanne
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2136404

OK thanks i will try the water again as i tried it last night but i will try it again, thanks will update and tell you how thugs are going, thanks again .

03/27/10  06:27am

Paigeleanne
View Profile

Message To: Paigeleanne   In reference to Message Id: 2136420

sorry i ment to say how things are going, that spell check put the wrong thing.

03/27/10  06:35am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area