Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Leoman911   JackAsp   Leoman911   JackAsp   Leoman911   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Leoman911
View Profile

Anybody selling collards

Does any body know of a breeder selling these guys and if so what’s the price range on them and what’s the site

Plzz..... Thanx

12/21/09  12:17pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2106888

Anybody selling collards

Yes. Most of the regulars on the Collards forum over at Kingsnake.com breed them, so you can hang out on there and watch everybody post pictures of their new babies. It’s a little quiet there right now, though, because most owners brumate. (Looking at my electric bills, I am now rapidly understanding why.)

The moderator there, Eve, is the breeder who runs the Suncharmers.com website, which is a big Must Read for anyone interested in the species. Being relatively high-profile, plus actually being GOOD seems to have sort of made her the Matriarch of Collards. A lot of her females are more colorful than most MALES! She was my original first choice, and I had corresponded with her about it before, but when the year finally rolled around she had opted to take a year off from breeding so she could focus a little harder on making sure that all their adults themselves were doing okay, because there is NOTHING puppy-mill about her. You could accuse her of being a bit Crazy Cat Lady, but that’s the whole other end of the spectrum. You know, because she does weird loony things like giving all of her animals names, as do I.

However... nobody really IS cranking out collards just for the money. I’m not sure they even could if they wanted to. There are so many wild-caughts that, economically, they’re considered a cheap, disposable junk lizard, so unless it’s a yellowhead/aqua/flame combo that also plays the harmonica and programs your TIVO for you it’s not gong to cost enough to make up for all the space, electricity, expensive lightbulbs, and feeder insects that it goes through. A dealer can phone it in on care for six months and still probably have a sellable lizard. A breeder has to keep them frisky but thinking about things OTHER than escape. Make sure you get CBB (Captive bred and Born,) not just eggs that the dealer was able to able to salvage from a wildcaught gravid female (which can still technically be sold as Captive-Born, even though even THAT isn’t technically valid since collards are HATCHED,) and you’ll see disagreements here and there about what the maximum basking temperature should be or what the actual risk/benefit balance of certain other things are, but honestly I think you’ll still be dealing with someone who honestly loves the species and is willing to give it room to move around and do things, because you couldn’t cram collards into little rack tubs and expect them to breed even if you wanted to.

I got my original trio from Jeff Roseberry in Arizona, who doesn’t hang out on the forums but happened to be advertising in the classifieds there, and he was very willing to give me a lot of advice on care (some of which differs from the other good sources, (and I’m glad I was exposed to more than one system, because what he does works) and he was also great about holding them for..I think it was about a month, actually, until safe weather, times that he could get them en route, and days that I could guarantee being home at the right time all matched up right. Then, after all that work watching temperature patterns, a plane got delayed anyway which meant the package missed its last deadline of the day to get where it needed to be to keep going, so the lizards arrived a day late during the cold blast we’d scheduled to avoid, and the guy at my end who was handling the final delivery was complete jackass who ignored all the instructions written in huge letters all over the box and had obviously carried them with him on his entire route, upside down no less, so they were so chilled I wasn’t even sure when I opened it if they were alive or not. However, thanks to
a. The fact that he’d been answering questions/offering advice all month long while I set the tank up for them, I had a good setup ready for them with the basking temps that They were used to, and
b. The fact that they were all very plump, healthy lizards that were quite comfortable with humans...
five minutes after I out them in their new home they had climbed the basking tower and within an hour they were all eating and playing and at no point did I even see any of the expected new-home nervousness.
So I can vouch for him. I’ll give you his email if you PM, but even though you live in a state with milder winters than I do, I suggest you correspond, then agree on the purchase, then perfect the cage, then finalize it.

There is NO substitute for taking your infrared temp-gun (pretty much a must if you plan on collard ownership) and studying what temps various parts of the terrarium area are at every different time of day and making sure that it all conforms to the rules you’re going by. Even after you get the lizard(s) things will STILL slip and you’ll have to scramble in there and tweak/rearrange/horribly stressfully rearrange things, so the least you can do is make absolutely sure they don’t have to deal within it right out of the box. One hint: Install a closet bar above the tank. This will give you a LOT of flexibility in playing around with not only what wattage lights you’re using, but how many inches above the basking spot they are. And what you learn from that pre-experimentation with the empty tank will also help you when adjusting for seasonal variations.

Theoretically, if you’re asking this question is a long-term thing, I may be on the list as well. Currently, I’ve only got 2 ’09s. Cesar is probably going to a guy in Dayton this spring. Nino is not spoken for, but he’s not as Brock Samson as Cesar, so making him adjust to a new home in the middle of the winter.. ain’t gonna happen. Both are aqua-phase Easterns (technically het for aqua, but they personally look pure aqua) and both are pretty much self-tamed- I kept on feeding them and cleaning up around and let natural curiosity take its course until they decided they liked climbing up onto my arms. They’re also very, very fond of jumping onto heads.) Depending on how my hatch-luck works out, I’m currently expecting early 2010s from both Chica and Lupe.

Pricewise, I paid 120 dollars (delivery included) for three. Pancho is from a serious aqua line (I’ve seen pics of both his CB blue father and WC blue mother) but he was no more expensive than the "normals" were. (I put quotes around that because collards have too much character to be defined by their coloration. Theoretically, either Chica or Lupe COULD be normal... but not both.)

One thing worth mentioning, that I wish I’d thought of initially, was that while they DO seem, even in the wild, to like living in small groups (one male and a few similar-sized females) is that if you don’t want to immediately start dealing with gravid females/ hatchlings that need constant monitoring, you might want to just start out with two females. Later, you can add a male to the mix if you specifically want one, but if you don’t, that’ll be fine too. My juveniles were mating two weeks after I got them, even though all had been warm all winter and Pancho was only 5 months old, 8" long. It kind of skewed my "get used to them just as pets first" plan. Getting knocked up early slowed down Chica’s growth down for a minute, too, although she caught up quickly afterwards, due largely to the magic of oddball feeding bugs like silks, horns, and phoenixes.

12/24/09  01:01am

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2107691

Anybody selling collards

Lol thanx for the book lol but really thanx and how much are you ganna sell yours for and yeah I would like the guys email too plzz

12/30/09  05:29pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Leoman911   In reference to Message Id: 2109334

Anybody selling collards

I’ll PM you.

12/30/09  11:26pm

Leoman911
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2109434

Anybody selling collards

Hey where do u live?