Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

BlackDogg   JackAsp   Ambassadorhawg   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

BlackDogg
View Profile

Collard lizard help??

i was wondering if you can keep a yellow headed collard lizard with a C. vestigium or baja collared??

11/14/09  08:09am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: BlackDogg   In reference to Message Id: 2095207

Collard lizard help??

You can’t mix adult males, but besides that male with female or female with female is okay. They even hybridize. Yeah, I know, mixing species is horrible and will grow hair on your palms and all that, but with collareds exactly which ones are and are not the same species is a bigger deal to human taxonomists than it is to the lizards themselves. It’s like mixing two kinds of slider; they neither know nor care that we classify them as different types. Avoid significant size differences, too, since competition in close quarters can be a little rough on the smaller one. But within those limitations, I do think it’s better to kep them in pais or trios, because in the wild they do form social groups.
You’ll probably see one perfer a different basking temperature than the other, but, hey, I even see variations like that among my five Easterns!

11/15/09  12:52am

Ambassadorhawg
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2095479

Collard lizard help??

I always see these liards alone in the wild, never together even during breeding season. I wouldn’t try to keep any together. The distress would eventually kill one or more of them.

04/20/10  10:18pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Ambassadorhawg   In reference to Message Id: 2142177

Collard lizard help??

Try telling that to my breeding trio.
I did eventually have to seperate a couple of their babies when puberty kicked in, because males do not cohabitate well, but even that was no big horror story. One nipped the other for some reason, then they went back to acting normal but I seperated them anyway before it could happen again. Between females, I’ve never even seen that.
They do form specific social cliques in the wild, composed of one male and 3-4 females, but that doesn’t mean they’re always sitting around two feet away from each other out there, because their territories are much, much bigger than that, and it’s just easier to hunt if they spread out more. Also, you might only be seeing the alpha, after any others nearby have already hidden. I know that variation in defensive reactions is common in certain other lizards.
I suppose a comparison might be the fact that despite extensive reports of social behavior in coyotes, I have still never in my life seen more than one at the same time. Fast, nervous animals with sharp senses and quick reflexes aren’t the easiest of things to keep a good eye on.

04/23/10  01:31am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area