Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Rainstorm   Rainstorm   JackAsp   Rainstorm   JackAsp   Rainstorm   JackAsp   Rainstorm   JackAsp   Rainstorm  
 Member  Message

Rainstorm
View Profile

OLD Member, Some new Questions and pics of my baby Sobe.

Hey all, I registered here almost exactly 1 year ago as Sabercub (forgot my pass and the email!) asking some questions about collareds and then ended up getting my new lil lizard, Ran across this site today and thought id update you all on him,

I also was wondering if anyone could tell me the sex, He has a light blue color coming out near his collar on the back of his neck if that helps.

another question I wanted to ask is w/e sex he is I was hoping to get another lizard but the opisite sex, Can Anyone recommend a site to order a YOUNG collard from? Was hoping to get one about his size.

ALSO... within the last 4 or 5 months he’s gotten pretty wild.. so wild to a point that I cant nearly stick my hand in his tank without him trying to attack my hand.. Whats a way I can tame him? or someone told me he might just grow out of it? Doubt that.

11/11/09  11:33pm

Rainstorm
View Profile

Message To: Rainstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2094586

http://www.repticzone.net/images/69239/101_2403.JPGOops! forgot to add the full body pics.

11/12/09  02:24am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Rainstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2094635

Here’s a start:Sexing
The owner of that site has also produced a good crop of babies and is more experienced with shipping than I am.. when he’s ready. But right now, somthing is obviously stressing him, so that’s the big hurdle to figure out first before you make another lizard have to live with him.
Describe everything you can think of about his habitat, lighting, temps, feeding, etc, and maybe something will stand out.

11/12/09  05:35pm

Rainstorm
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2094806

Alright thanks! and he’s about 9 to 9 1/2 inches long, he has a 30 gallon tank, one rock for getting under the light to lay on, one log thing he loves to go under and sleep, water bowl big enough he likes to lay in it, and he has paper in his tank for the bottom right now because I need to get to the store to get some more sand for him. and a 75 watt UV bulb and a 100 watt regular bulb I use once in awhile to make the uv last longer.

11/12/09  07:47pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Rainstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2094844

What’s the temperature gradient?
Also, were there any changes right before he started getting aggressive?

11/13/09  11:56pm

Rainstorm
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2095174

varies between 75 - 96, only 75 whenever its a pretty cold night. and no not that I can think of.

11/15/09  03:55am

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Rainstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2095503

If anything, it sounds like your temps are low(if those are the high and low ends, rather than the overall ambient extremes,) which would cause lethargy rather than aggressiveness. Unless the hot spot is hotter than you think, in which case he might be basking too much to compensate for the rest of the cage being cool. Ideally, you want a ground temperature that’s 90ish, whether they do better with a ground temp of 86 or 92 or whatever depends on the lizard and on the rest of the setup, and then you want a choice of 105+ basking temperatures. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy. A long horizontal piece of driftwood, wide enough to run on, can give you temps varying from 90ish toward the ends to 150ish right under the light, so if he feels a need to be 135 he can do that, if he wants to be 105 he can do that, and if he wants to chill at 90 all day he can do so without having to overcompensate by basking more than he actually wants to. Another way to do it is to stand a few bricks on end under the heat lamp, and maybe put one crossewise on top of a couple of them, so he can pick a basking spot at the exact distance he wants to be. Or, if you can find a nice textured slate tile at Home Depot, tilt that against the end and it’ll do double duty as hiding spot/ multiple-temp basking wall.

If I misunderstood and you’re saying that his entire cage floor reaches a daytime high of 96, that right there is why he’s going hyper. During the summer I have to wedge a fan behind their cage and run it across the top to pull off some of the waste heat. Otherwise by the time the basking areas are warm enough the floor is overheating. It’s actually quite cute, because when it gets too hot they of course know it because I do, and when they hear me turn the fan on all three of them rush up onto the top branch in unison to sit under the breeze. Since their cage is 28" high I’m quite certain they hear it and make the mental association before they can actually feel the temperature difference.

A 75-degree night temp is perfect. Mine seem to do okay sleeping at 80ish, but it’s just that the room they’re in is warm; I don’t go out of my way to provide night heat, because they don’t need it. No worries there, even it gets lower than that, as long as he wakes up and basks in the morning.

I don’t really know for sure if the root of the behavior problem is thermal or psychological (or something else entirely!) but it does sound like your setup is a bit more Spartan than they prefer. They seem happier with multiple basking spots, warmer grounds temps than you’d suspect from looking at how far north they range (I think they went to the same "How to live in northern states and still be a complete freezebaby" seminar that western hognoses went to,) a wide range of basking temps(a lot of people more experienced than me do great with a single 105-spot, but that’s the thing: they’re experienced! I go with a more idiot-proof system and the result is tame, voracious, frisky little pets that I can get a little sloppy with sometimes and not stress them,) a couple of different hides, and just, in general, a feeling that they have a choice of different things to do.

And.. like I said, it could be something else entirely. But, that’s all I can really think of.

11/15/09  01:34pm

Rainstorm
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2095597

Alright thanks! Im not sure if its just one spot, bottom of the cage or what, I just stuck a thermometer in there once and when I checked it to see how far it went down and up those were the temps, ill get another thermometer and some more rocks for him and try that!

11/15/09  04:24pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Rainstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2095649

Oh, you have GOT to get one of those infrared laser temp guns. You just hold the trigger and scan it around all over, and it will show one that number that gives the temp of the hottest spot that it’s hit during that trigger-pull and another that shows whatever the temp is on the exact spot that it’s hitting. Sometimes the little hotter or cooler spots are so small that you’ll never find them otherwise. They’re one of the greatest technological innovations to hit the reptile world and they generally cost about 25 bucks. Try any big hardware store. You might even be able to find one at Wal-Mat or whatever.

11/16/09  12:40pm

Rainstorm
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2095895

Ok, ILl check at walmart when we go this weekend (cant drive so gotta wait)

11/18/09  04:29pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area