Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

JackAsp   Chippychop   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

JackAsp
View Profile

Bigger cage

The lighting was not favorable for flash photography, so the plexiglass, while it IS old and scratched, looks worse in this picture than it actually is. You can see the lizards up on one of the basking towers. The spent more time locked inthe bathroom than I intended, because I ended up having to take the stupid thing apart and put it back together to get it through a doorway. They basked briefly. then the girls hit the caves. Pancho stayed up a little longer checking out his new territory. Being able to make long, high jumps without worrying about bumping into anything is a big plus for him. Now all three of them are tucked away, but they should be hopping around in there pretty good tomorrow.

07/27/09  09:09pm

Chippychop
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2046337

Bigger cage

good job ///thats a great looking cage!!!

07/28/09  05:41pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Chippychop   In reference to Message Id: 2046828

Bigger cage

The temps weren’t quite up, so I added another spotlight attachment. Now there’s a 75-watt over one tower and a 150 over the other. Plus an MVB hanging above it on a closet bar. It was funny. When I clicked the light on, one of the babies just immediately started running over toward it with a completely unquestioning "Oh, what a nice basking spot for ME!" attitude. No glass-smacking or anything. Just a really enthusiastic rush to the edge of the cage, followed by recognition of the glass and complete befuddlement. I had to put a barrier on that side to eliminate confusion.
A couple of lucky coincidences:
1. The 29-gallon that I have the hatchlings in is on a nearby end table and the location and height are pretty much perfect for just taking off the entire screen, lamp and all, and putting it on top of the parent’s screen. Before I always had to fumble around getting that stuff out of the way whenever I went in. The smoother entry seems to be a plus. One of the babies jumped on me today, ran up my arm to the elbow, and sat there looking at me for a while, then jumped back on me and ran back up AGAIN when put back in the tank. Apparently they tame down fine without any forced handling.
2. To give the bottom of the cage some extra strength, I cut up some 2X8 boards and laid them on edge across underneath it. Turns out the "compartments" between the boards are exactly the right size for small incubation tubs.

07/28/09  10:07pm

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area