Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Collard Lizards Forum

Sns_dragons   Reptileruler1   Sns_dragons   Reptileruler1   JackAsp  
 Member  Message

Sns_dragons
View Profile

Eastern Collared lizard food?

I got 3 ECL’s now I’ve read care sheets but was told later that they need to eat small lizards! o.0 Is this true or can they go without eating another lizard? The have been doing fine on crickets and roaches so far I’ll give them away before I’ll feed a lizard to another lizard. I’m a reptile lover and have alot of lizards.

Thanks
Amanda

06/27/09  01:02pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: Sns_dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2029763

nope they don’t need other lizards just give them a big variety. they’ll eat anything that fits in their mouth.
Here’s an example

After

06/27/09  02:46pm

Sns_dragons
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 2029822

Thank you...

I was also wondering about the colors of females. We got a supposed to be female she’s pretty small when we got her she was tan/brown then she shed the other and she’s bright green. I thought only males were bright green?

06/27/09  06:39pm

Reptileruler1
View Profile

Message To: Sns_dragons   In reference to Message Id: 2029922

females can be very bright but won’t have color under their necks.

06/27/09  11:03pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Reptileruler1   In reference to Message Id: 2030083

They can live entirely on insects. If they’ll eat vegies, let them, but many won’t. Vertebrate prey is not necessary as long as they get either calcium supplentation or high-calcium prey items such as silkworms.
Both sexes change color. Males will tend to have brighter base colors, but there’s a lot of overlap. A bright female will outshine a dull male, and even a dull female who’s having a good day might outshine a bright male who’s having a particularly bad day.
My male, Pancho, came from two aquas, and varies from pale green through all the blueish greens to a couple of shades of blue. He never turns brown or grey. The closest he comes is a sort of pale silvery blue.
My girls, Chica and Lupe, came a green father and a mother who was mostly brown and grey. They always have all three colors in them (plus balck and white, of course), but green tends to be dominant over brown. Sometimes green is even dominant over grey, but most days they’re either grey-green with a lot of green markings or they’re grey with a lot of grey-green markings. Plus, bonus points for having red or orange on them half the time, which is another thing that sort of muddles the question of which sex is more colorful...

06/28/09  12:22am

Back to Collard Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area