Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Lizardloveruk87   Whatsupchuck   Lizardloveruk87   Whatsupchuck  
 Member  Message

Lizardloveruk87
View Profile

Help with chuckwalla not eating

I have just got a two year chuckwalla who lives with a year old leopard lizard, and he never drinks. But my main concern is that he is only getting a wee drop food once every five or six days. How long can he go with food or water before he gets ill? As he doesn’t seem to be walking about as much as he did in the shop I got him from. Also can I do anything to help to get him eating properly???

10/17/11  11:40pm

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Lizardloveruk87   In reference to Message Id: 2240951

It may take awhile for him to get used to his new environment. What are you feeding him? My chuck gets a greens mix (not iceberg lettuce) and shredded carrots and seems to love that. I just lightly spray it with a water mister before i put the dish in his terrarium. Do you know if he is a captive born chuck or wild caught? If he is 2 years old, he doesnt need water outside of what he gets from his food. In fact, I’d be surprised if he drank at all. You may want to try some berries or apple pieces as they seem to like that too. Also, he’ll need some type of calcium supplement (D3). Good luck and hopefully someone with more experience than myself may have some better info for you.
Jason

10/18/11  11:03am

Lizardloveruk87
View Profile

Message To: Whatsupchuck   In reference to Message Id: 2240985

Hey thanks for the help. I feed him leafy greens (but not iceberg lettuce) with carrots, apples, bananas, stawberry’s and grapes. Which is what the guy who had him use to feed him. He also gave me a really good calcium powder for free. He lives with a leopard lizard but they get on brilliantly.

He’s captive breed. Do you know what might be making him just lie there and hardly move abou.

Thanks for your time and thank you so much for helping me

10/20/11  04:18pm

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Lizardloveruk87   In reference to Message Id: 2241277

You are very welcome. I had to ask about caring for my chuck as well when I first got him. what about the lighting? I have a full spectrum bulb where its around 115 to 118 degrees about 3 inches from the bulb so he can bask, and hiding spots for him to cool off. You’ll want a cooler end of the enclosure for him, thats where I put his food, btw. Check out this care sheet from deerfernfarms. This is for the carrot tails but should apply to all chucks.

http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Chuckwalla.htm

We prefer clear Infra-Red bulbs for the basking sites and high output compact fluorescent bulbs for the background lighting. The goal is to produce as bright a cage as possible for 12 to13 hours per day. The average floor temperature should be in the high 90’s F (35C) with a basking spot temperature of 110F to 115F (44C to 48C). South Mountain has summer night time temperatures in the mid 80’s, so shoot for similar temperatures in your enclosures. We maintain similar conditions throughout the year for non-breeding animals, maybe dropping the average temperatures by 10F to 15F during the winter months.
Here are a couple of pics of my chuck, Picollo.

10/21/11  01:11pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area