Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Chuckwallas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Laveau   Whatsupchuck   Cyot75   Cyot75   Cyot75   Lovemychucks   Monster Matt  

Member  Message

Laveau
View Profile

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

Curious here. what kind of fruit specifically are ok to give to a chuckwalla???? Also. is it possible to train a chuckwalla to use a water bottle????

06/12/11  01:16am

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Laveau   In reference to Message Id: 2224281

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

I just got my first within the last week. But what I’ve found is that he love greens, (mustard turnip, ect) and kale. He took a couple fo bites from a strawberry but thats about the only fruit he’s eaten. Also from what I have experienced and learned from the website, the adult chucks dont need a water bowl. they get the water they need from the vegitation. Please post some pics!

06/12/11  11:42pm

Cyot75
View Profile

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

There is no fruit for them in the wild. All bitter tasting vegetation. Out of hundreds of reptiles I killed some collard lizards by feeding them tomato’s. To much acid. Also killed a desert iguana by feeding it the flowers from a tree cause the book said they eat desert flowers. NOT TREE FLOWERS he swelled up to twice his size and died. While I’m at it I gave a big desert spine back lizard to my friend and he thought it needed heat so he put the aquarium in the sun for a few hours that summer afternoon. You know the rest.

06/27/11  08:37pm

Cyot75
View Profile

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

Your chuckwalla will not eat if you are stressing it out by constantly handling it and moving around its enclosure and being loud. It needs a peaceful quiet place away from traffic. You have to give it three specific temperatures. 1. the air should be between 80-86. 2. the surface of the hot spot should be 100-105 for him to digest his food. If your own blood wasn’t warming your stomach to 97+ degrees, you wouldn’t be able to digest your food ether. He don’t have that luxury of warm blood. 3. the cool area should be about 75 degrees. If you use sand (not dirt) it will naturally be cooler than the 80-86 degree air if it is a few inches deep. He knows his body better than you do and will situate himself where he is most comfortable IF you provide the rite temps. We inherit that responsibility by having them out of their natural environment. That’s part of the fun. Like a challenge. If you fail to do it rite, then a pathetic dehydrated, weak, stressed, wrinkly, skinny, malnourished, sick and dying creature will be your reward. A sad trophy for carelessness.

06/27/11  08:57pm

Cyot75
View Profile

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

Your chuckwalla will not eat if you are stressing it out by constantly handling it and moving around its enclosure and being loud. It needs a peaceful quiet place away from traffic. You have to give it three specific temperatures. 1. the air should be between 80-86. 2. the surface of the hot spot should be 100-105 for him to digest his food. If your own blood wasn’t warming your stomach to 97+ degrees, you wouldn’t be able to digest your food ether. He don’t have that luxury of warm blood. 3. the cool area should be about 75 degrees. If you use sand (not dirt) it will naturally be cooler than the 80-86 degree air if it is a few inches deep. He knows his body better than you do and will situate himself where he is most comfortable IF you provide the rite temps. We inherit that responsibility by having them out of their natural environment. That’s part of the fun. Like a challenge. If you fail to do it rite, then a pathetic dehydrated, weak, stressed, wrinkly, skinny, malnourished, sick and dying creature will be your reward. A sad trophy for carelessness.

06/27/11  08:59pm

Lovemychucks
View Profile

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

No you will not be able to train your chuckwalla to use a water bottle. they get all of the water they require from their diet.

you can provdie a water bowl in the cool end of their vivarium however it is unlikely it will be used, spraying false plants around the water dish may encourage use but it is still unlikely and you should avoid creating too much humidity as this will cause health problems.

many fruit will be eaten by chuckwallas although they are not very keen on fruit as a rule. Most berries can be given, apple, pear, papaya, majo and much more but this should only make up 5% of the chuckwalla diet, it is there simply for visual attraction and that they may possibly eat it and gain the vitamins they contain.

chuckwalla diets is widely misunderstood and you NEED to read up about calcium:phosphurus ratios and oxalic acids.

PLEASE DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHUCKWALLA KALE AS A STAPLE FOOD - it contains oxalic acids which bind calcium preventing absorbtion during digestion. you will end up with a chuckwalla with a very sick chuckwalla.

If you would like more infomation on the care requirements of chuckwallas please do feel free to contact me.

07/04/11  10:59am

Monster Matt
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2227548

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

That must explain why my chuckwalla has eaten 2 bowls of vegetables but hasn’t digested much yet. the heating zone on the surface is about 90 degrees. I moved it toward the center for extra heat. Luckily I haven’t fed him kale yet and now don’t plan to. He LOVES arugula though. I hope that’s ok to feed him. But they don’t need water do they? don’t they get their water from the food they eat?

07/29/13  01:55pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area