Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Whatsupchuck   ThesaurusRex   Whatsupchuck   Cyot75   Whatsupchuck   Lovemychucks   Whatsupchuck   Whatsupchuck   Lovemychucks   Lovemychucks   Whatsupchuck   ThesaurusRex   RedGator   Whatsupchuck  
 Member  Message

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

My new pal

Hi,
I just got a chuckwalla, was actually looking for an iguana, but came across the chuck and had to have it. This is my first chuck and I cant believe how friendly he is. He loves being held and even likes to be walked on a leash! Here are a couple of pics. Does anyone know what type of chuck he is?

06/09/11  11:41am

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Whatsupchuck   In reference to Message Id: 2223710

My new pal

Cool! Most if not all chuckwallas are S. ater, the Common Chuckwalla. The other bit are the larger Angel Island chuckwallas. If you could take some more pics of the chuck by himself, no decor, and maybe a size comparison next to a ruler or hand or something, that could help identify him.

06/11/11  12:13am

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2224123

My new pal

Thanks,
I’ll do that tonight!

06/13/11  01:38pm

Cyot75
View Profile

My new pal

What are you feeding it?

06/27/11  08:28pm

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Cyot75   In reference to Message Id: 2226879

My new pal

I feed him a mix of greens. Collard, turnip and mustard greens. I also have put a little shredded cabbage and carrots. He seems to be doing well with that diet. I also put about 10 crickets in his tank and it took him about 2 weeks but I think he may have finally ate them all. But he is mostly interested in the greens.

06/28/11  02:10pm

Lovemychucks
View Profile

Message To: Whatsupchuck   In reference to Message Id: 2226929

Chuckwallas are herbivore Iguanas

Please do not feed your chuckwalla animal protein. Their guts will struggle to digest it and it can cause serious health problems such as with the gald bladder, kidney stones etc.

They should be provided with ideally eight different types of plant matter daily and calcium:phosphurus ratios as well as oxalic acids should be taken into serious consideration.

Cabbage should be fed sparingly but the rest seems great. Alfalfa and dandelion are also very important components of a chuckwalla diet. if you are able to get hold of crestote bush - this is what they would eat in the whild but this is very difficault to grow in the UK.

Succulents are also very important, Prickly pear! And dont forget to offer fruit occassionaly. they are not usually keen but even the smallest amount eaten can give the chuck very beneficial vitamins.
Apple is very good.

Chicory, Leek and many herbs should be given also.

If you have any questions please do feel free to message me.

Kind regards

07/04/11  10:51am

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2227545

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the advice! I removed the last cricket last night and have been feeding him mixed greens, kale and occasionally some apply or strawberry. I have some calcium that I use on his food a couple of times a week. I’ll check to see if I can find some chicory and leek and oxide as well to add to his diet. Thanks again!

07/05/11  05:40pm

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2227545

after seeing your last post on the last chuck blog, I am removing Kale from his daily diet. Thanks again!

07/05/11  05:41pm

Lovemychucks
View Profile

Message To: Whatsupchuck   In reference to Message Id: 2227707

not a problem.

it looks to me like you have a nice red back male.
look on uromastyx.org forum for more information on his locale, they are not the most common chuckwallas so you are very lucky to have such a stunning example of a red back.

i just posted another long rant about diet. theres more food mentioned in there if you have a hunt for my posts lol.

i will start using this forum a lot more because there seems to be loads of questions on chuckwallas and i know myself how hard it is to get answers for some of those questions lol.

ive spent so much time researching, reading and observing and theres still so much more to learn.

chuckwallas are not the easiest reptiles to care for by a long shot but they really are worth it and the better husbandry we provdie the more amazing these iguanas become because their colours will become so much bolder, brighter and they will be even more active!

if you build trust with your chuck, he can become dog tame but handling should not be rushed. you have to pay very close attention because chucks fear behaviours can often be mistaken for calmness.

you really do have a very nice looking guy there! im very jealous! i have two aters and one more on the way. by the way red backs are sauromalus ater too. the most common are the nevada chucks, which i have two of.

hopefully will get hispidus and a couple of carrot tails in the future.

nutrobal is a great supplement and calcium with D3 is better than without. remember it should be used sparingly with a varied diet :)

best of luck with your big boy!

07/12/11  08:37pm

Lovemychucks
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2228773

what UV lighting are you using??
i couldnt see any lighting in the pics lol.
what bask temp have you got him at?

07/12/11  09:26pm

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2228784

Thanks again for the great advice! it is quite difficult to gather care info on chucks. I am using a full spectrum uvb 100 watt (i think) bulb at about 12 hours a day. It is about 105 f at 3-4 inches from his higher basking spot on a branch, and about 100F on his basking rock on the substrate. He is very friendly and is very comfortable being handled. Usually just sits on my shoulder or climbs on my head and keeps a look out. :)

07/14/11  11:35am

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: Whatsupchuck   In reference to Message Id: 2228964

Just to let you know, Chuckwallas and Uromastyx have almost the same care requirements, so you can substitute a Uromastyx caresheet for a Chuckwalla one.

07/14/11  07:28pm

RedGator
View Profile

My new pal

There’s a population of chuckwallas that looks just like that, from the low desert of California. Even the females are that black and yellow combination. When I was Kid, I had one for many years, that I purchased from someone who caught it from somewhere down there. I can probably find out exactly where if you want to know. All the ones in the U.S. are S. ater, but the color really varies depending on where they live. Near me, they are all brown and tan. A couple hours to the north of here, there is a lava flow where the males are really black! The females are brown though, so I’m not sure if it’s for camouflage our what.

07/21/11  04:32am

Whatsupchuck
View Profile

Message To: RedGator   In reference to Message Id: 2229940

My new pal

I didnt realize it but there are south mountain chucks 5 miles away from me. I"ll have to go hiking to take some pics.

09/07/11  07:54pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area