Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Tdachel   Monitormayham   Reddawg   Ambassadorhawg   Scrappy2.5   Tdachel   Reddawg  
 Member  Message

Tdachel
View Profile

Desert Iguana, Horned lizard & Whiptail

I’m new here. I like this community a lot, I hope you guys can help - We caught these guys near the Mojave desert. I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 125 watt light/uvb on one end and a 75 watt light for heat on the other end. Thermometers on the wall of the tank (glass) show temps of 100 and 85 degrees. At night I replace the 125 watt with a 75 watt red bulb. The 75 watt red bulb is the only light in use at night. On both ends are hiding places constructed from limestone piled up to form caves for cooling and shelter. branches were taken from where they were captured and placed throughout the tank to look more homey.The bottom of the tank is covered with sand (sorry - don’t know what brand. I’ll find that info out). It is deep enough for them to tunnel in and cover themselves up, (at least 2 inches)The desert iggy seems to stay on the cool side with the horned lizard and whiptail really loving the hot side.Yesterday I dumped about 18 crickets (dusted w/ calcium/d3 powder) and most were eaten, I saw 2 scarfed up by the iggy. The iggy did not like the grated zucchini and yellow squash. These guys should do well together, right? How do I feed the iggy - just grate up a bunch of stuff on a plate? Put the food on the rocks? Any and all help is very much appreciated.

06/16/10  01:02pm

Monitormayham
View Profile

Message To: Tdachel   In reference to Message Id: 2156259

well the first thing you should do if you care about the lizards is let them all go that tank isnt even bigg enough for the desrt iguana alone and there almost extinct in the wild so let them go and im suprised if the lizards are still alive

06/27/10  08:12pm

Reddawg
View Profile

Message To: Monitormayham   In reference to Message Id: 2158985

Almost extinct....really.....There all over the place here in Lake Havasu.

06/28/10  09:21pm

Ambassadorhawg
View Profile

Message To: Reddawg   In reference to Message Id: 2159287

A 40 gallon terrarium is barely big enough for the D.I. if kept alone.

The Horned lizard will most likely not survive because they have a very specialized diet. They will usually eat most any insects offered but over time, they will waste away. Not a good captive choice overall.

Whiptails are very nervous, often freaking out and bouncing off the walls. Definately not a good captive pet.

But...I have had great success keeping D.I.’s. Just keep offering fresh cut vegi’s. If you live nearby where you caught the D.I., see what types of plants it live with. Do some research and find out which are edible. That would be best for it. Limit the insects for it. This is mainly a vegitarian.

Let the other two go. The sooner the better. Distress is doing evil harm to them with each passing day.

07/19/10  12:31am

Scrappy2.5
View Profile

Message To: Ambassadorhawg   In reference to Message Id: 2163413

i wish you were joking, go let them all go please

09/30/10  08:33pm

Tdachel
View Profile

Message To: Scrappy2.5   In reference to Message Id: 2178441

I have an update. Sorry it took so long.
All lizards have been moved to a 6X3X3 foot enclosure and are happily sharing it with 7 collared lizards from Kansas and Arizona. The desert iggy is going back to being mostly a vegetarian after a bout of being a cricket destroyer. I order harvester ants for the two horned lizards (male and female, one from So.Cal and one from Arizona.) All (except Desert Iguana and Whiptail) love soaking in water under heat lamps. The whiptail is a bit nervous sometimes, but basks with the others.He does not like being held, but will take crickets from my hand. The Collareds are very social and fun to watch.

Reddawg - I was just in your neck of the woods looking for Chuckwallas. Do you see many there?

Monitormayham - Which lizards are almost extinct? I think your data is inaccurate.

Ambassadorhawg - Thanks to you and the others for the good info. The others are doing well. The harvester ants that I order online have made the horned lizards easier to care for. If they could figure out how to mate. The female is very open to it, but the male falls asleep behind her... They also like small crickets and love chasing cockroaches even though they are to big for them to eat.

11/01/10  01:21pm

Reddawg
View Profile

Message To: Tdachel   In reference to Message Id: 2185017

Wow, I haven’t been on here in like forever. I do see chucks out and about. The last time I went out scouting around I saw a few big guys wedged in the rocks, saw a whole lot of whiptails, and quite a few desert iguanas. I keep looking for gilas, but haven’t seen any yet. Next time your out this way get a hold of me and I’ll show you around.

06/07/11  01:55am

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area