Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Zeek2493   Krusty   Chaostails   Ambassadorhawg   Krusty   Lovemychucks   Lizardloveruk87  
 Member  Message

Zeek2493
View Profile

Chuck questions

well im moving to southern CA in about 2 weeks (I lived their when i was little and went their for almost every summer) so i have handling experience with most desert lizards (like chucks) and the temperate zone(i think) lizards that live down there but not housing experience... now most lizards i catch out there will be caught and released, but just incase I find a lil baby one or an injured one I would like to have at least an idea on how to house Chuckwallas to give them a happy home :P.

What should the temps be? humidity?
What would be the best substrate? Is solid or loose substrate best?
I feed my Leopard geckos mealworms and crickets. would these be good staples for a chuck?
How many hides? humid hide?
Do they need extra calcium?
And is there anything else that I need to know that I didn’t ask about?
thank you...

05/18/09  09:35pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Zeek2493   In reference to Message Id: 2007309

Chuck questions

Chuckwalla are desert plant-eaters (herbivores) like a Uromastyx. They like lots of hiding places like sturdy rocks and corkbark tubes/flats over deep sandy dirt. Look up how to house Uromastyx online and Chucks are very similar.

05/20/09  08:29pm

Chaostails
View Profile

Message To: Zeek2493   In reference to Message Id: 2007309

Chuck questions

no humidity , my chuckys love Kale and dandylions. The BIGger the cage the better. mine have the run of the house but have a cage they sleep and eat in. if fully cage i would suggest around a square foot of space for every inch the lizard is.

04/13/10  03:20pm

Ambassadorhawg
View Profile

Message To: Chaostails   In reference to Message Id: 2140323

Chuck questions

I’ve kept many Chucks. Definately dry with a very warm basking area. These are vegitarians, they don’t need any insects even though they would eat the occassional cricket if offered.

Offer wildflowers when avaialble. Chucks prefer YELLOW colored flowers for some reason. Mustard blooms are relished by Chucks.

If you live near where they are, collect wild plants to feed them. Give them natural sunlight if possible.

04/20/10  10:25pm

Krusty
View Profile

Message To: Ambassadorhawg   In reference to Message Id: 2142183

Chuck questions

They certainly do hone in on things that are white and yellow. Grating up zucchini and yellow squash and sprinking the pieces over a salad of spring mix is pretty much 90% of what I feed my three. Don’t feed insects. My adults don’t take them anyhow. Young ones sometimes will go after bugs, but it’s something they should only eat a few of, not a staple feed, or you’ll run into health issues.

11/04/10  11:27am

Lovemychucks
View Profile

Message To: Krusty   In reference to Message Id: 2185628

Chuck questions

kale contains a high oxalic acids which bind calcium so should only be fed occassionally.
chuckwallas and uros love yellow flowers, generally most edible flowers but these should only be given occassionally to hatchlings as they are harder to digest then green matter.

mustard greens, mature alfalfa, chicory, spring greens also known as collard greens, dandelion greens, squash, snap peas, herbs, endive, escarole, frisse, radichio, parsnip/turnip greens and vegtable, carrot, water cress, pea shoots, rocket, kidney beans, butter beans, chick peas and many more are great for chucks and many part of a staple diet.

you should look up calcium:phosphurus ratios as chuckwallas requre a calcium to phosphurus ratio of 2:1 and greater.

also look into oxalic acids which are most found in spinach and kale.

all you have to do to find a good diet for your chuck is to think of them as iguanas, which of course they are.

they do not require any animal protein at all and do not need to be fed insects and especially not meal worms.
their digestive system is not designed to break down animal protein and it causes serious health issues.

you need to provide a very vaired diet with a bare minimum of 4 staple foods provided daily and fruits such as strawberries, berries, mango, apple, papya, can supply additional vitmains although chucks are not usually keen on fruit.

staple greens should make up around 90% of the chucks diet.

a good calcium supplement with D3 and a multi vitamin such as nutrobal should be used sparingly but daily with hatchlings and young and reduced in adults to a few days a week, using calcium supplement most days even in adults.

UVB is vital and you need to supply uvb tubes as background uv ideally to a MVB and an additional hot heat source must be provided around 115/120f

provide water for hatchlings, adults will not require water as they get water from their diet but bathing is useful in both young and mature.

food must be finely sliced, chopped, mashed or grated, especially so for young.

males should be seperated as soon as femoral pores are evident, this is usually easy to tell by the time they are 5 months old.

Captive bred chucks are a much better idea to keep as pets as many WC do not adapt well to captivity and if you want a very tame chuck, get a hatchling.

handling should be done gradually so the chuck can build trust in you before you start laying your hands on it and picking it up.
this is done by sitting by the vivarium, talking to your chuckwalla, laying your hand in the vivarium and slowly getting closer but not touching the chuckwalla, hand feeding and provding your chuck with time to itself to feel comfortable in its surroundings.

stress can have a massive impact especially on chuckwallas. make sure they have many hiding places throughout the uv and heat gradient. cool end should be between 75-85f, no higher, in order for rep to thermoregulate.

hiding places should be a very snug fit for your chuck to feel secure and areas of shade should also be provided.

freshly cut food should be given daily as should general cleaning.

chuckwallas produce a lot of waste and are messy eaters.

they are very intelligent lizards and provide hours of entertainment as they are very active during the day.

if you have a young male with young females, the male should be seperated during mating seasons until the females are around 3 years of age upwards.

chucks have been found gravid as young as five months old causing fatal egg binding.

and please do lots more research.

i will post some useful links when i have more time.

07/12/11  08:25pm

Lizardloveruk87
View Profile

Message To: Lovemychucks   In reference to Message Id: 2228768

Chuck questions

Doesn’t anyone think that it is cruel to go out an catch lizards to keep as pets????? At least my Chuckwalla was a captive bred one I would never have a lizard that was caught from the wild

10/10/11  08:45pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area