Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Reptiman123   Cinderellawkids   Reptiman123   Cinderellawkids  
 Member  Message

Reptiman123
View Profile

Size of enclosure?

Can I get some ideas for a good size enclosure for one Chuckwallas? I don’t think they get too big some may get smaller than a Bearded Dragon I think. I am getting a Calico, so if this is a relatively large or small chuckwallas let me know. I hear that they need 4’ by 2’ but I find this hard to believe. They look small in Youtube videos. I also would like to know the size of one after 4 months, 6 months, and a year. Important because I may need to put it in a 2’ by 2’ for a little while than I may be able to get a bigger one. Need to talk to my parents about that. If that size will work for most of it’s life please say so. I know bigger is better but if it would be fairly happy in there than say that please. It also has a height of 2’ and gets up to 100 to 110 degrees for a basking temperature. The warm side is a good 80 to 85. The cooler side may get down to 70. I could easily fix this. I will add in some rocks, will rocks found outside work fine? Thanks for your help guys.

03/16/09  02:57pm

Cinderellawkids
View Profile

Message To: Reptiman123   In reference to Message Id: 1969494

Size of enclosure?

alot of it depends on who/where your getting him from but I wouldnt ever put anything in something as asmall as a 2 x 2 its cruel and causes stress in addition there will be NO way to keep the heat gradient right

03/17/09  08:42am

Reptiman123
View Profile

Message To: Cinderellawkids   In reference to Message Id: 1969938

Size of enclosure?

Something require that small of a enclosure... Are you saying that you keep all animals in something bigger than that. I don’t think that is good. There some people say that too big can mean death. I am not trying to change your mind.

03/17/09  04:09pm

Cinderellawkids
View Profile

Message To: Reptiman123   In reference to Message Id: 1970119

Size of enclosure?

in a 2 x2 ? If you use heat of any sort, you could never have a heat gradient. Ive only had hatchlings for short time periods in something that small. Smallest I use even for ball pythons is a 20 gallon long which is 3 foot long

03/18/09  12:28pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area