Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Ultrakd   Ultrakd   Reptile Boy100   Iiiimemphisiiii   Ultrakd   Aliceinwl   Ultrakd   Ultrakd   Reptile Boy100  
 Member  Message

Ultrakd
View Profile

Chuckwalla Questions

Im thinking of getting 1 or 2 Chucks. My first question is what size would it have to be to house 2 Chucks? Do they mind being held every now and then? What would be the best substrate for them, Ive herd you can use some of the dirt from outside is that right? Please reply I will really appreciate it, Thanks.

03/27/08  05:53pm

Ultrakd
View Profile

Message To: Ultrakd   In reference to Message Id: 1678123

Chuckwalla Questions

Nobody has any suggestion for me?

03/27/08  07:23pm

Reptile Boy100
View Profile

Message To: Ultrakd   In reference to Message Id: 1678123

Chuckwalla Questions

for two chucks the minimum size is about 60 gal and the more you hold your chuck the more they will get to like you so yes it is good to hold your chucks the best substrate is aquarium sand and make sure it is about 3 in. deep with sand any more questions

03/27/08  07:25pm

Iiiimemphisiiii
View Profile

Message To: Reptile Boy100   In reference to Message Id: 1678299

Chuckwalla Questions

Your best bet is not to use substrate...You could use desert sand but at the same time it is proper to use pet grade sand if your going to use sand. Second Chuckwalla’s are extremely high stress animals, you could hold them but they are more of a looking glass lizard! properly stationd rocks are your best bet.

03/27/08  07:40pm

Ultrakd
View Profile

Message To: Iiiimemphisiiii   In reference to Message Id: 1678312

Chuckwalla Questions

Well Im going t omake htem a viv s oI was wondering what the dimentions would be. They would be kept on a 4’Lx2’D enclosure so that is how big it would be I just dont know how tall it needs to be. THanks for helping

03/27/08  09:09pm

Aliceinwl
View Profile

Message To: Ultrakd   In reference to Message Id: 1678494

Chuckwalla Questions

Your dimensions sound good. I’d recommend about 2 feet of height. This will accommodate rocks and if you’re using mercury vapor lights, you’ll want about 12 inches between your chucks and the light.

In terms of handling, captive bred chucks can tolerate it pretty well, if they’ve been raised with it. I use washed play sand like that sold at Home Depot for my chucks (about and inch). Most of the floor is covered with rocks; I make sure they’re in contact with the floor of the tank so that there is no digging under them and undermining them. I put their feeding bowl on a big flat rock to prevent them tracking sand into it. They like to find tight spaces between rocks to wedge themselves into. I use construction adhesive to glue small rocks onto the undersides of larger ones and stack them (if you omit this, they’re pretty strong and could knock out the spacers triggering a collapse).

If you want a chuck that tolerates handling well, I’ve heard that Sauromalus hispidus, Angel Island Chuckwallas, have personalities comparable to bearded dragons. These are only available captive bred. Babies of both the Angel Island and common chucks are usually available in mid to late summer.

03/28/08  12:12am

Ultrakd
View Profile

Message To: Aliceinwl   In reference to Message Id: 1678733

Chuckwalla Questions

Just as a question why does it have to be so high? THey climb that high?

03/28/08  07:27am

Ultrakd
View Profile

Message To: Ultrakd   In reference to Message Id: 1678895

Chuckwalla Questions

NObody wants to answer me

03/28/08  02:15pm

Reptile Boy100
View Profile

Message To: Ultrakd   In reference to Message Id: 1679309

Chuckwalla Questions

actually they climb very high so it is best to get a roof on the aquarium and you won’t have that problem

03/28/08  05:01pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area