Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

Animalkingdom92   Johelian   Funky munky   Animalkingdom92   Funky munky   Animalkingdom92   Removed By System   Animalkingdom92   Aliceinwl   Animalkingdom92  
 Member  Message

Animalkingdom92
View Profile

Im looking for a chuckwalla

i am very interested in gettign a chuckwalla.

where do i get them, other than driving to joshua tree, lol

03/26/08  06:46pm

Johelian
View Profile

Message To: Animalkingdom92   In reference to Message Id: 1676939

They are naturally found in the following areas (from Wikipedia):
"The genus Sauromalus has a wide distribution in desert biomes. This is especially true of the Common Chuckwalla (Sauromalus ater), found from southern California east to southern Nevada and Utah, western Arizona and south to Baja California and northwestern Mexico. Other species are island-dwelling and therefore have much more restricted distributions: Two rare and endangered are the Chuckwalla de Montserrat (Sauromalus slevini) found on Islas Carmen, Coronados and Montserrat and the San Esteban Chuckwalla or Painted Chuckwalla (Sauromalus varius) found on San Esteban Island, Lobos and Pelicanos. The Angel Island Chuckwalla (Sauromalus hispidus) and Peninsular Chuckwalla (Sauromalus australis) are found on Isla Ángel de la Guarda and surrounding islands off the coast of the Baja California peninsula.

Chuckwalla (Sauromalus Obesus) in rock areas of Death Valley National ParkChuckwallas prefer lava flows and rocky areas, and many more such as those found in the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts. These areas are typically vegetated by creosote bush and other such drought-tolerant scrub. The lizards may be found at elevations of up to 4,500 feet (1,370 metres)."

If you’re looking to buy one, its the wrong season right now; I dont know what the captive-breeding scene is like in the US, but I would assume that babies would be available around June/July. This is also when WC animals would be available. Perhaps speak to a local reptile store and see if they can order them for you, or put you on a waiting list or something.

03/30/08  05:24am

Funky munky
View Profile

Message To: Animalkingdom92   In reference to Message Id: 1676939

Quote:

where do i get them, other than driving to joshua tree, lol

I hope you were kidding about taking one from joshua tree.

Joshua tree is a national park and it’s illegal to take ANYTHING out of there.

what part of the country do you live in???
I ask because, if you don’t live near any deserts were any of the "legal to own" sauromalus genus is found than you will probably have trouble caring for one, mainly because of humidity and temperature issues. Especially if the lizard you get is W/C, then you may have to deal with parasites, stress, and a whole mess of other things.

But if you are persitant in getting one and 100% commited to it’s care then, try your best to get a C/B chuck, it’ll be alot easier on you and the lizard.

heres a little care sheet:
Link

and you might be able to order a C/B from here:
Link

03/30/08  12:02pm

Animalkingdom92
View Profile

Message To: Funky munky   In reference to Message Id: 1681917

I’m looking for a chuck walla

of course i was kidding about taking it from Joshua tree. lol
i go rock climbing and camping there all the time. i know its a protected park.

why do they call it Joshua tree if its mainly yucca trees lol. just messing.

i live in southern California and northern. mainly southern. i live near palmspring sort of. its a desert area. lots of coyotes and rattles.. eww. well that doesn’t say much bc they are everywhere lol

thanks for links

sorry but whats WC and CB chuckwallas

03/30/08  05:16pm

Funky munky
View Profile

Message To: Animalkingdom92   In reference to Message Id: 1682333

LOL.

W/C=wild caught

C/B=captive bred or born

03/30/08  08:11pm

Animalkingdom92
View Profile

Message To: Funky munky   In reference to Message Id: 1682663

oh. haha thanks

03/30/08  10:21pm

Removed By System
View Profile

Message To: Animalkingdom92   In reference to Message Id: 1682333

Chuckwallas

Removed By System

05/19/08  01:41pm

Animalkingdom92
View Profile

Message To: BeastHouse87   In reference to Message Id: 1740035

send me pics please

05/22/08  11:13pm

Aliceinwl
View Profile

Message To: BeastHouse87   In reference to Message Id: 1740035

FYI. It’s illegal to buy and sell most native reptiles in California (including chuckwallas). The possession limit for chuckwallas in California is also two.

If you want a chuckwalla, I would recommend buying a captive bred animal from out of state (California Department of Fish and Game does not have a problem with this as long as you stay within your two chuckwalla possession limit and do not re-sell the animals). Or, purchase a sport fishing license and collect your own. If you plan on collecting, do your research and make sure it’s permitted in your chosen area.

I strongly recommend captive bred over wild caught. I have one of each. It took me over six months to get my wild caught chuck feeding reliably and four years later she still cannot tolerate handling or interaction of any sort. My captive bred chuck on the other hand started feeding right away, will readily take food from my hands, and tolerates handling well. Some older wild caught adults will never adjust to captivity, so if you decide to catch one, be sure to get a baby.

05/23/08  08:09pm

Animalkingdom92
View Profile

Message To: Aliceinwl   In reference to Message Id: 1744456

thank you.

do you have any links for breeders???

05/28/08  08:59pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area