Chuckwallas Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Newtdude92   Aliceinwl   LeoLuvr   UROKEEPER   Nick(uromastyxman)   UROKEEPER  

Member  Message

Newtdude92
View Profile

Uro and a chuckwalla?

i am very experienced in reptiles and i know that its not always a good idea to mix species

but if 2 animals require the same heating, humidity and u have a large enough enclosure (very very large) there should be no problem if they are insectavores or herbavore and will not eat each other

i have never tried mixing species before but ive been looking around and the uro and the chuckwalla fill all of these requirements

would it be possible to keep these species together?

03/24/08  10:41pm

Aliceinwl
View Profile

Message To: Newtdude92   In reference to Message Id: 1674636

Uro and a chuckwalla?

Both uros and chucks are highly reliant on bacteria and other organisms in their intestines to aid in digestion. Members of both species will feed on the poo of adults as young to acquire this flora so breeders typically allow the babies to inoculate themselves to ensure optimal health.

I think mixing species would be very risky even if the lizards got along. What would the bacteria etc. in the chuck from North America do in a uro from Africa? And, because of the poo eating needs of the babies, even captive bred animals wouldn’t be "clean".

At one point I thought this might be a cool scenario too, but it’s not in the best interest of these particular animals. Separate accommodations would be much safer, and cheaper in the long run. Vet bills add up fast.

03/26/08  01:50am

LeoLuvr
View Profile

Message To: Aliceinwl   In reference to Message Id: 1676231

Uro and a chuckwalla?

How large of an enclosure are you talking?

11/08/11  09:29pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: LeoLuvr   In reference to Message Id: 2243568

Uro and a chuckwalla?

no matter what size these animals should not be mixed.

05/21/12  04:39pm

Nick(uromastyxman)
View Profile

Message To: Aliceinwl   In reference to Message Id: 1676231

Uro and a chuckwalla?

keep them together it will be OK.......

05/22/12  01:25pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Nick(uromastyxman)   In reference to Message Id: 2267257

Uro and a chuckwalla?

quite a bold statement...are you sure about that Nick? I speak the truth. aggression leads to slow decline in the other animal. they will stress. also parasite transmission and certain bacterium not found on the other continent that the other animals immune system cannot fight. It’s not a good idea. They are not meant to be kept together. in the wild they have all the room in the world to move around,avoid confrontation etc... put different animals together in a small cage and then throw in some improper husbandry and you have a recipe for disaster and large vet bills. many keepers do not have the money for vet care.

I have kept several species of uro’s for the last 15 years and believe me they usually do not do well even with members of the same species. What is the big need to throw another animal in with yours? I don’t get it? these animals do not feel emotion to have a "friend" they dont "need a buddy" or get lonely.

05/22/12  02:11pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area