Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chuckwallas Forum

HittoriHanzo   Gexandchucklvr   Bumdilly   Chucky2   Chucky2   Gower Flower  
 Member  Message

HittoriHanzo
View Profile

Chuckwalla Questions

Is it necessary to hibernate chucks during the winter, or can their temps stay constant year-round? Also are Angel Island chucks a good chuck to start out with? Iíve had uromastyxes and snakes for years, so Iím not really new to herps. How long can they be handled outside of their enclosure in average room temp of 78 degrees or so? Does anyone have experience with Exotic Pets in Vegas? They have Angel Island young chucks for $225 is that a fair price? Anyone know the average lifespan? The care sheets Iíve found arenít really as extensive as my Uro care sheets so any additional info would be appreciated. Sorry for the randomness of the questions, kinda in a hurry, thanks again for any help.
HH

04/04/07  01:32pm

Gexandchucklvr
View Profile

Message To: HittoriHanzo   In reference to Message Id: 1233647

Chuckwalla Questions

most do not need to hibernate. If you would like to you could. Yes they are a great pet to start out with. i usually handle my chuck for about 15-20 min. no. i bought my baby chuck for 65$ but was not an angle island. They cane live for 20 years or longer under good care. These are great lizards to have and they are very similar to a uro in care. Good luck!!

04/04/07  06:04pm

Bumdilly
View Profile

Chuckwalla Questions

I have an angel island chuck. with shipping the cost of mine was about 200$. ive had mine for about 5 months and the caresheets have been accurate thus far so i dont really have that much more information for you.
give them options so they can make their personal preference and you can notice their habits. mine likes ot be held a lot but he has a tendancy of falling asleep anywhere almost instantly. he wont eat certain greens sometimes so its better to use the veggie sheet and start making different combinations until you find some staple food mixes they really enjoy and then add some others every few days to keep a balance. heat regulation is fairly easy to take care of, just be sure to buy a thermometer that reads humidity. chucks are fun little guys to have. good luck with your choice.
LL

04/10/07  03:28pm

Chucky2
View Profile

Chuckwalla Questions

I just got a chuckwalla the other day and the guy I bought it from said i could put him in the same cage as my uro. They donít fight, but my chuck likes to be hand fed... (He bit me twice). you said that u had a uromastyx, so if u have a big enough cage u could put them in the same cage with out having a problem. Then you could get something else and put in the old cukwalla cage. I got my cuckwalla for $125 but that was at the reptile show, where every thing is cheap. Also I have an angel chuck, so if u hav an angel chuck then put them in the same cage.

04/25/07  08:35am

Chucky2
View Profile

Message To: Bumdilly   In reference to Message Id: 1240873

Aww man!

I just got a chuckwalla and he escaped from the cage. I found an hour later when he was asleep and woke him up. He likes to bite people to... I was wondering if i should just give him away or not. I put him in the same cage as my mali uromastyx. My chuck also is not captive bred.

04/25/07  06:39pm

Gower Flower
View Profile

Message To: Chucky2   In reference to Message Id: 1259549

Aww man!

Ive just become the proud owner of a very cute & friendly adult Chuckwalla -Iíve named him/her Iggy - today in fact! Found this site while looking for care info. Heís supposed to be 3-4 years, has stripy tail, grey-brown body with faint stripes near tail. Some confusion about whether male or female, does anyone know how to be sure?

Iíd appreciate any advice as am a novice reptile keeper, just fell in love with him. Is happily basking under red lamp & has uv light tube. Has eaten a dandelion flower & leaf 3 hours ago but nothing since. Heís about 12" long, is this enough food? How much should be offered each day?

Is it OK to pet him, he seems to like it, or should I let him get used to new surroundings & vivarium for a few days?

Thanks, Annie

05/05/07  01:38pm

Back to Chuckwallas Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area